2 of 2
In need of a book
Posted: 04 October 2008 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  121
Joined  2007-09-28

One of the last, great fiction books I read was “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay” by Michael Chabon.  It won the Pulitzer and it is a fabulous read.  Kavalier is a Jewish Houdini-esque escape artist who smuggles himself out of Nazi-invaded Prague and travels to Brooklyn in search of his cousin, Sammy Clay, a comic book artist.  Together, they create comics based on their own lives, fears, and dreams.  (Chabon also wrote “The Wonder Boys.”)

“The Shipping News” by E. Annie Proulx is good too.  Especially with winter coming. 

Vanessa

Posted: 06 October 2008 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19
vanessa - 04 October 2008 04:14 PM

One of the last, great fiction books I read was “The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay” by Michael Chabon.  It won the Pulitzer and it is a fabulous read.  Kavalier is a Jewish Houdini-esque escape artist who smuggles himself out of Nazi-invaded Prague and travels to Brooklyn in search of his cousin, Sammy Clay, a comic book artist.  Together, they create comics based on their own lives, fears, and dreams.  (Chabon also wrote “The Wonder Boys.”)

“The Shipping News” by E. Annie Proulx is good too.  Especially with winter coming. 

Vanessa

I just finished reading Wonder Boys last night, and it’s now one of my favorite books. It was one of the few books that inspired me to start writing again. I just picked up Kavalier and Clay and will probably start it soon. Good call!

FYI: I’m reading High Fidelty by Nick Horby right now. One of the “modern classics” I never got around to. It’s really good so far.

[ Edited: 06 October 2008 03:41 PM by Jaik ]

2 of 2