Long Time Bible Belt Atheist
Posted: 29 October 2008 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-10-29

Hello everyone!  My real name is Joe and I have been an atheist since 1976, retired Air Force, and currently living in Georgia.  I am a web application programmer by day, but I am fascinated by religions and religious belief. 

I have always been amazed by the fact that religions to me, since I was 15 years old, have always seemed so transparent and obviously man made.  To me, reality was the most important thing, not what felt good.  Having started out as an indignant, “how could they lie to me” atheist, I have come to understand that there are other reasons for religious belief, and have become much more at peace with the religious around me.  This realization set me off down the path to becoming a humanist.

Signature 

J.K. Fausnight

When I was 15 years old, I could no longer reconcile religion with reality, and I knew one of them would have to go.  It still amazes me how many people make the other choice.

Posted: 29 October 2008 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Glad to have you here Joe. Sounds like you have a good perspective on life.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 October 2008 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Can I call you Joe the Atheist?  grin Welcome!

Posted: 30 October 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Howdy neighbour!  I’m in SW Missouri- the other part of the Bible Belt.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 November 2008 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-11-17

If the Bible Belt has a buckle, it is my hometown just outside Dallas, TX. I’m a noob here too, so we’ll welcome each other. grin

[ Edited: 17 November 2008 01:22 PM by WindyCityHorn ]

Posted: 17 November 2008 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome to both of you.  We atheists and humanists need all the help we can give each other anywhere, and especially for those of you living in the Bible Belt.

Occam

Posted: 17 November 2008 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-11-12

I sometimes live in Dallas myself, so I understand about the bible belt. Glad to have you here.

Signature 

” I am a mission-minded atheist because when I look around at the tragedy so rampant in our world, it saddens me to see that the majority of groups aiding those in need are religiously driven. These are people who believe that God tells them to help these people, to further his kingdom. I know that my heart tells me to help these people, simply to further humanity. This goes further than educating about atheism. It deals with educating about loving others.”

Terrence Jackson

Posted: 21 November 2008 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-11-07

cool signature there!!!