2 of 2
Peter Singer - Ethics in an Age of Darwin
Posted: 14 November 2008 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2007-10-08
dougsmith - 14 November 2008 07:34 AM

For those who don’t know, Ron Lindsay is CEO of CFI. Thanks for the heads-up.

Actually, I didn’t know that either! I knew the guys who do Reasonable Doubts were CFI affiliates, but I missed the mention about Ron Lindsey’s connection with CFI even though I listened to the interview twice.

Posted: 14 November 2008 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-11-13
workinprogress - 14 November 2008 06:19 AM

My desire to learn about Catholic ethics isn’t deep enough to motivate me to buy and read entire books on the subject, but the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy has a good article explaining the theory and possible applications of this principle, along with criticisms and even a question as to whether it is truly a single ethical principle or an agglomeration of different ways of justifying an action.

LOL, I don’t have that patience either which is why I asked for the direct route to that idea of Aquinas. So, for the starting point, I thank you. I only want to read it so that I can give myself a better handle on the arguments from the other side. Although, I have to say that over the past two days I have been listening to many of the previous podcasts and even from a scientific / atheists point of view that Mark Hauser, Chris Hedges, Austin Dacey, Barbara Oakly, among a couple of others have sent my head spinning about how to look at and formulate morals. I have a lot of home work to do = ) It almost seems to me that there can only be a tentative moral set, which I don’t see as a problem but even for a rationalist atheist like myself it is still hard to wrap my head around because it seems more natural to rally behind “universal, unchanging” moral truths. Anyway, I’m glad I came acroos this site and the podcasts, great work CFI is doing.

Signature 

Alice came to a fork in the road.  “Which road do I take?” she asked.
“Where do you want to go?” responded the Cheshire cat.
“I don’t know,” Alice answered.
“Then,” said the cat, “it doesn’t matter.”
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Posted: 15 November 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
workinprogress - 14 November 2008 01:28 PM

Actually, I didn’t know that either! I knew the guys who do Reasonable Doubts were CFI affiliates, but I missed the mention about Ron Lindsey’s connection with CFI even though I listened to the interview twice.

I don’t think they mentioned it. I think Ron has to be a bit more proactive about doing marketing for CFI!

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 November 2008 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-10-29

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 11:06 AM by Luke Vogel ]

Posted: 15 November 2008 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08
Ken - 14 November 2008 08:19 PM
workinprogress - 14 November 2008 06:19 AM

LOL, I don’t have that patience either which is why I asked for the direct route to that idea of Aquinas. So, for the starting point, I thank you. I only want to read it so that I can give myself a better handle on the arguments from the other side. Although, I have to say that over the past two days I have been listening to many of the previous podcasts and even from a scientific / atheists point of view that Mark Hauser, Chris Hedges, Austin Dacey, Barbara Oakly, among a couple of others have sent my head spinning about how to look at and formulate morals. I have a lot of home work to do = ) It almost seems to me that there can only be a tentative moral set, which I don’t see as a problem but even for a rationalist atheist like myself it is still hard to wrap my head around because it seems more natural to rally behind “universal, unchanging” moral truths. Anyway, I’m glad I came acroos this site and the podcasts, great work CFI is doing.

I guess we all have a lot of work to do, and it probably will never end, because societies have changed over the ages, and changed their interpretations of what is morally good and what is not. I think that Marc Hauser’s concept of a “universal moral grammer” may have some basis in fact, and some of his conclusions about the results of the Moral Sense Test seem to show why we have obstacles that stand in the way of resolving contentious issues such as euthanasia—for example, if people are hard-wired to be more accepting of omissions that cause harm, than intentions which cause the same harm, that could explain the hangups which allow passive euthanasia, but balk at allowing the same person who may be terminal, to choose when and how to end their own life.

I was impressed with Austin Dacey, although I haven’t bought his book yet, I agree with a point he made about liberal secularists retreating from the offering any moral judgements and instead trying to make all issues of conscience matters of private, personal interpretation. I noticed this problem when the polygamy issue arose last year and many liberals came out in favour of legalizing polygamy even though they did not contest the evidence that a general acceptance and practice of polygamy would be the end of principles of equality and democracy. They simply feared taking away the polygamists’ personal choice would threaten the personal choice of gays who want same-sex marriage, without bothering to examine what impact either institution would have.

Posted: 15 November 2008 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-08
Luke Vogel - 15 November 2008 09:18 AM

I knew the guys who do Reasonable Doubts were CFI affiliates

Is this correct? Also, what does it mean that they’re “affiliates”?

On the Reasonable Doubts homepage they identify themselves as members of CFI Michigan, and one of the doubters - David Fletcher,“is the founder and former chair of CFI Aquinas College.”

Posted: 15 November 2008 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Posted: 18 November 2008 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-11-18

I knew the guys who do Reasonable Doubts were CFI affiliates

Is this correct? Also, what does it mean that they’re “affiliates”?  Also, Ronald Lindsay is new to the position of Chief Executive Officer for the Center for Inquiry/Transnational and also a Senior Research Fellow (but is trying to sell his book). A position that was formally held by David Koepsell (who was reportedly still wondering the desert).

Hey Luke, nope, not wondering (nor wandering) in the desert… quite the opposite.  Joined the Philosophy Faculaty at the Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands, teaching Ethics and Technology.  Enjoying what I love most, teaching and writing.

Posted: 18 November 2008 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Posted: 19 November 2008 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-11-18
Luke Vogel - 18 November 2008 09:09 AM
drkoepsell - 18 November 2008 06:41 AM

Hello David, I am quite pleased to read this good news. The Netherlands, hey? Thank you for letting me (us) know, and I wish you the best of luck. I hope you will find time to contribute your ideas to the CFI, or at least join DJ on PoI to debate whether atheism is a civil rights issue cheese  (has this anything to do with accepting a position in the Netherlands?). Hope to see more of ya…

LOL, no, I left CSH as exec. Director for family reasons, my wife was looking for a job away from Amherst.  As it turns out, we both found jobs in The Netherlands, a nice civilized, secular country with milder weather (believe it or not) than Amherst NY.  I still am affiliated with CFI and CSH as an Associate Editor of Free Inquiry, and a Senior fellow of the CFI Institute and member of the Collegium.  Dj and I are actually co-editing a special section of FI, due out next summer, so we’ll stick to collaborating rather than debating old, exhausted topics. smile

Posted: 19 November 2008 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

2 of 2