3 of 3
The Afterlife
Posted: 17 July 2006 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2006-07-10

I’ll concede the point.  You guys are right.  I think I was referring more to the laid back attitude that you’d think would accompany a lifestyle that believed eternal bliss was coming.  Why would such folks sweat the small stuff?  Yet so many Christians seem to be as stressed out as anyone else.

But what yall are saying makes a lot of sense.

Signature 

What’s the point?

Posted: 08 September 2006 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2006-08-12

Urantia

CoyoteSon says a few things that I think need some clarifying.

First, he says that the Urantia book was written by Atheists. I am not sure where this claim comes from, since the proponents of the book claim it was written by “supermen” of some kind, while those who first pushed and backed it were not atheists, but apostates from other fringe Christian sects, such as the Adventists.

Second, he talks of an “Atheist God.” I have trouble with this concept and can see it only as an oxymoron. As an atheist, I have no god. There is no god to have. There is no god. What CoyoteSon describes as an “Atheist God” is much closer to the Deist conception.

As for the Urantia Book itself, it mainly resurrects early christian debates, such as whether the “son” is consubstantial with god and whether the son is coeternal with god. These were the very issues debated at the first Council of Nicaea. Its science is complete rubbish. For instance, can anyone with even the remotest Discovery Channel education in science not laugh at this statement: “A LOCAL universe is the handiwork of a Creator Son of the Paradise order of Michael. It comprises one hundred constellations, each embracing one hundred systems of inhabited worlds.” As we know, a “constellation” is a two-dimensional illusion of our local position relative to space. There are no “constellations” in 3-d space. Similarly, what in the world does a “Local” universe mean? There is only one material universe that we know of. I could go on an on, but it is clear to see that this is Scientology-style nonsense, and I would not be surprised if L.Ron had read this drivel. 

Sorry, CoyoteSon, but that is just the way I see it.

Signature 

The Doctor

“Each age has a special risk. Ours is letting half the world starve literally and nine-tenths of it starve educationally” - John Fowles, The Aristos

Posted: 08 September 2006 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Urantia

Excellent, Doctor. Glad to have your input on this topic.

Best,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 September 2006 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Yes Dr, Thanks and good work
J

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 12 September 2006 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-09-12

Re: The Afterlife

[quote author=“lotus”]I’ve heard people assert that an afterlife gives meaning to human life.  They argue that if there is no afterlife, then humans have no possible direction or purpose for living, no goal.

This only proves that it you say something enough times, some people will believe it, and or it may show that they have a great lack of imagination, and or they really have a very limited knowledge of the universe, I think they may have all three.

Paul

:D :D :D

Signature 

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein
Much worse than the Question not asked, is the Answer not Given. - mine
Never in the history of humankind, have so many, known so little, about so much.

3 of 3