(UK)Government’s new science minister raises eyebrows with ‘sixth sense’ claim
Posted: 17 November 2008 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Oh dear!
The Government’s new science minister has raised eyebrows after he says he believes he has a ‘sixth sense’ to predict the future, it was revealed today. Lord Drayson said he was one of the humans with a ‘capability’ that experts did not fully understand.

read the rest here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1086362/Governments-new-Science-Minister-raises-eyebrows-sixth-sense-claim.html?ITO=1490

SCIENCE MINISTER ohh frightening…..what do you think?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 17 November 2008 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-11-12

I often think people make supernatural claims (even though he insists it is not supernatural) because they realize the amount of money to be made in this ‘God’ business. Shameful, really, and tragic that a scientist is clearly not utilizing his skills in the best manner possible.

Signature 

” I am a mission-minded atheist because when I look around at the tragedy so rampant in our world, it saddens me to see that the majority of groups aiding those in need are religiously driven. These are people who believe that God tells them to help these people, to further his kingdom. I know that my heart tells me to help these people, simply to further humanity. This goes further than educating about atheism. It deals with educating about loving others.”

Terrence Jackson

Posted: 18 November 2008 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14

Good lord, the science minister? If he has a sixth sense to predict the future, why doesn’t he just pick tomorrow’s lottery numbers and retire?

Of course, we do have a sense “linked to the way humans have evolved” that allows us to predict the future. It’s called the human brain, and it works pretty well most of the time. For instance, it allows me to predict when it’s likely to get dark, when the sun is likely to come up, when rush hour is likely to be ... it even allowed me to predict who the next president was likely to be.

I somehow don’t think he’s quite talking about that ability; although admittedly it isn’t one that we fully understand we at least know how to go about understanding it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 November 2008 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
asanta - 17 November 2008 09:53 PM

Oh dear!
The Government’s new science minister has raised eyebrows after he says he believes he has a ‘sixth sense’ to predict the future, it was revealed today. Lord Drayson said he was one of the humans with a ‘capability’ that experts did not fully understand.

read the rest here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1086362/Governments-new-Science-Minister-raises-eyebrows-sixth-sense-claim.html?ITO=1490

SCIENCE MINISTER ohh frightening…..what do you think?

To be fair that article does say he said his ability to know things (which could just be based on being a remarkably perceptive individual and let’s be honest you don’t get to his position of wealth in society without have some fairly significant ability to read people and things around you) was “like a sixth sense” rather than actually being one and that is confirmed in a Telegraph report.

Also, and I don’t suppose you know this, the Daily Mail doesn’t have a particularly good reputation with liberal thinkers in the UK and is often referred to by such names as “The Daily Nazi”, “The Daily Heil” or “The Hate Mail” ... what with their notorious columnist Melanie Phillips who not only supports the teaching of creationism in science classes but was recently branded by a scientist (possibly Dawkins) as indirectly encouraging child deaths because she promoted the unproven claim that the MMR jab is linked to autism.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 27 January 2009 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-01-24

I think Kyuuketsuki UK just helped stop a hurtful rumor.  If there was a smiley for applause, you would get it.

Signature 

“knowledge is power”