Nova: The Bible’s Buried Secrets
Posted: 18 November 2008 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Interactive webpage HERE, includes the ability to watch the episode online.

Just watched this two-hour show tonight. Highly recommended for responsible speculation about the history of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. It is a bit triumphalist about the Judaeo/Christian/Islamic tradition, and in particular seems to have an odd knee-jerk assumption in favor of monotheism as opposed to polytheism (is that really a scientifically based conclusion?), but the archaeologically and textually based conclusions are nonetheless very interesting.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 November 2008 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

We recorded it, and are looking forward to watching it soon. My husband actually put it on the DVR, I would have missed it.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 19 November 2008 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I completely forgot I wanted to watch that. Thanks, Doug!

[ Edited: 21 November 2008 02:32 PM by George ]

Posted: 21 November 2008 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2008-11-04
dougsmith - 18 November 2008 08:11 PM

Interactive webpage HERE, includes the ability to watch the episode online.

Just watched this two-hour show tonight. Highly recommended for responsible speculation about the history of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible. It is a bit triumphalist about the Judaeo/Christian/Islamic tradition, and in particular seems to have an odd knee-jerk assumption in favor of monotheism as opposed to polytheism (is that really a scientifically based conclusion?), but the archaeologically and textually based conclusions are nonetheless very interesting.

Ha. This is a remarkable similarity to what I am taking away from having read (and heard) on the website. If I analyze my own “position” with regard to this “knee-jerk,” I associate not only the firm commitment to worshipping with One God, but also the fear of destruction imposed by wavering from that commitment to be a major position held by the church (all three traditions) from which they will combat any position threatening to tamper with or alter this chosen form.

So where does that leave me in my wanderings? I not only perused theosophical works, but particularly engorged myself on the practices at The Saint Germain Foundation. Within that group, dictations are received from a long, long list of ascended masters and cosmic beings, for which names (and positions or occupations) are regularly used. And all of this began with the experiences of a scientist. A lot of good scientific training will propose to be! (sarcasm)

If evolution involves a higher kingdom of numberless occupants (possibly even on a one to one basis with humans), the church will be powerless to accommodate it. They are too afraid to attempt evolution based on a number of these beings. They will be forced to continue to worship just as they always have. I thought that due to Jesus having spoken about the “kingdom,” it would be teaching enough to allow it, but I have my doubts that worship will change easily now.

Perhaps we need to adopt an attitude of self-deception, of looking away from any activity by this kingdom, as if we must keep our focus away from them and upon the distant life after the 7th race. To become inordinately taken by them for their beauty or ability would be sacrosanct. If we are to shun them, and walk past them as if they are invisible, it reminds me humorlessly of proselytizing, getting the word out so as to rid ourselves of their favor, so they may prey upon others evenly.