Old Atheist
Posted: 20 November 2008 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-20

Almost fifty years ago, my religious “training” evaporated at the age of 16.  It was neither traumatic, extended nor unexpected.  It just seemed like a normal development.  In the intervening years, I placed no special significance to the event or its ensuing consequences.  Marriage to a radical Catholic lady (she has no practical use for the church and its hierarchy) has been remarkably calm.  Although the three male children were raised in the church, they seem to have turned out non-religious.  I lead by example, and am a quiet type. 

Recently, due to the emergence of the radical fundamentalist cults in the good ol’e US of A, I have become a tad more expressive of my metaphysical naturalist stance.  My wife and I routinely have quite civil “seeker” discussions.  I accuse her of being close to “graduation” from religion.  She accuses me of being a spiritual soul.

I admit to her that I am an odd duck.  A PhD chemist that wrote accounting software and ended up as a data-mining geek in the consumer credit counseling world, I bring 25 years as a modern dance and ballet amateur to the steel pan music world.  The spiritual side is further enhanced by my tai chi practice.

So, “Hello World”

Posted: 21 November 2008 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

And hello Dr. Dave! Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 November 2008 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Hi Dr. Dave and welcome.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 November 2008 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-10-29

Welcome!  We followed similar paths, though I lack the PhD.

Signature 

J.K. Fausnight

When I was 15 years old, I could no longer reconcile religion with reality, and I knew one of them would have to go.  It still amazes me how many people make the other choice.

Posted: 21 November 2008 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, I certainly don’t have the wide range of experience that you do since I stayed with chemistry as my profession, however, I did take a variety of extension courses in philosophy, psychology, political science, etc,, and some managment things like negotiation to fill in what I missed.  Welcome, and you should be able to participate well in the discussions here.  However, I’m a strong atheist, which means I have as much faith in the non-existence of any god, spirit, metaphysical universe, etc. as a religious fundamentalist has faith in the opposite.

Occam

[ Edited: 21 November 2008 11:32 PM by Occam ]

Posted: 24 November 2008 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-11-20

I had the great pleasure to listen to John Carlson from ASU’s Center for the Study of Religion and Conflict today at the Humanist Society of Greater Phoenix.  His topic was the Sacred, Secular and Profane.  I will post the summary as soon as I can reconstruct it.