1 of 2
Atheists Bashed for Thanksgiving
Posted: 25 November 2008 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

“Thanksgiving must be a terrible time for atheists. They have no God to thank. They do not have the privilege of gathering with family and friends to express gratitude by saying: “Praise God from whom all blessings flow.” An atheist on his deathbed faces serious uncertainties. Gazing upward, he pleads: “Oh God, if there is a God, please save my soul—if I have one.

Full editorial quoted above - Newnan Times-Herald

As hateful (or ignorant?) as the editorial writer is, many of the comments posted below the Times-Herald piece, written by thoughtful and well spoken atheists commenting on the article, are truly beautiful. I am THANKFUL this Thanksgiving to those people who wrote such calm, dignified responses to the author.

(I discovered the article as originally linked by our outspoken atheist friend PZ at Pharyngula. Click HERE for PZ’s usual “not-shy-at-all-don’t-care-what-anyone-thinks” comments on the editorial. So obnoxious - but I adore him just the same. He’s always good for a chuckle and right on point.)

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 25 November 2008 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m confused! Just because I’m an atheist, I can’t gather with my family and friends? Isn’t that discrimination? Why do I want to thank god? I don’t believe in him, I’d rather thank the noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster for all the sense that makes. Why can’t I just thank my family and friends for being such wonderful rationale people——and then get down to the business of eating. Besides, we’ve called it our Autumnal harvest meal for ages, I mean Thanksgiving is Soooo 20th century! smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 November 2008 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

That’s right. Atheists and agnostics are NOT capable of gathering around a dinner table and being THANKFUL. We should know better than to try! Our heads will implode if we try to display any sort of emotion or sense of family and community.

I got a laugh from PZ’s comment:

“I have many things to be thankful for. One is that I’m not the brain-damaged idiot who wrote this appalling editorial…”

LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 26 November 2008 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

“Thanksgiving must be a terrible time for atheists.

It is. Re-runs of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart for the whole week.  downer

Posted: 26 November 2008 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
Jules - 26 November 2008 06:36 AM

I got a laugh from PZ’s comment:

“I have many things to be thankful for. One is that I’m not the brain-damaged idiot who wrote this appalling editorial…”

LOL

LOL

Posted: 26 November 2008 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 26 November 2008 07:22 AM

“Thanksgiving must be a terrible time for atheists.

It is. Re-runs of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart for the whole week.  downer

No! really! That’s terrible! Well at least there is Mythbusters and Top Chef. We can always watch reruns of Top Gear(the Stig lives here!) tongue wink !

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 November 2008 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10

What an odd editorial.  It seems to be a series of unrelated thoughts and platitudes attached as if by a string to the first, weirdly baffling, paragraph.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 November 2008 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

PZ was right, the people who commented after the article just brutalized the author. That was awesome.

I noticed that “commenting has ended” for the article. I wonder if the paper shut that down when they noticed all the flak they were getting.

Posted: 26 November 2008 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2008-06-24
Jules - 25 November 2008 09:49 PM

“Thanksgiving must be a terrible time for atheists. They have no God to thank. They do not have the privilege of gathering with family and friends to express gratitude by saying: “Praise God from whom all blessings flow.” An atheist on his deathbed faces serious uncertainties. Gazing upward, he pleads: “Oh God, if there is a God, please save my soul—if I have one.

That’s ignorant.

Posted: 26 November 2008 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-10-29

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 11:05 AM by Luke Vogel ]

Posted: 26 November 2008 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-10-29

[ Edited: 10 December 2008 11:05 AM by Luke Vogel ]

Posted: 26 November 2008 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4620
Joined  2007-10-05

As the title suggested, the columnist threw out a few religious thoughts. He led with a bigoted, ignorant paragraph against atheists. There is nothing remotely humorous there.

This atheist has to work Friday, but after that I’m going to a friend’s place just south of Austin to camp out with 100 or so of our best friends, people we have known for about 1/4 century and have grown so close over the years we consider ourselves an extended family. Most of us are closer to this group than to our own families. We help each other through weddings and funerals, through moves and job losses, through divorces and courtships. Some of us are Christians, most at least agnostics, none practices any religion. Our ethnic background is a diverse as you could imagine, and all are welcome.  Some of use are carpenters, some are lawyers, some are nurses, many are musicians, and we even have a couple of major bank CEOs in our group. By the way, neither of these banks is on the Fed’s list of 179 banks in trouble.

I plan to have a great time this weekend. Maybe I’ll invite Mr. Griffith to camp out with us next year. Good music and a bit of tequila would do him some good.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 27 November 2008 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

This is the perfect thread for me to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Amid the problems in the world there is still plenty to be thankful for, including the great folks we have on this forum, Mods and members alike.

Cheers to everyone.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 November 2008 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, funny how that works out! As I start my 8 hour day of cooking smile , working towards a warm and fuzzy meal with my loved ones, I just want to take the time to wish everyone a WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING DAY! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ  And a ‘Boom de yah dah’ to everyone!!!!!

[ Edited: 27 November 2008 02:36 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2008 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Happy Thanksgiving! Like all good secular holidays, a great time to take stock of the good and truly important things in our lives. Enjoy!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 01 December 2008 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
Jules - 25 November 2008 09:49 PM

Full editorial quoted above - Newnan Times-Herald

As hateful (or ignorant?) as the editorial writer is, many of the comments posted below the Times-Herald piece, written by thoughtful and well spoken atheists commenting on the article, are truly beautiful. I am THANKFUL this Thanksgiving to those people who wrote such calm, dignified responses to the author.

(I discovered the article as originally linked by our outspoken atheist friend PZ at Pharyngula. Click HERE for PZ’s usual “not-shy-at-all-don’t-care-what-anyone-thinks” comments on the editorial. So obnoxious - but I adore him just the same. He’s always good for a chuckle and right on point.)

Well since it’s a Well Known True Fact(tm) that we godless atheists are incapable of being moral and ethical humans beings without belief in god, then of course we can’t give thanks without belief
in god! It’s self-evident!  wink

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

1 of 2