2 of 2
Howdy from show-me-state Quantitative Psychologist/Statistician
Posted: 16 February 2009 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2008-08-14
PsyStat - 08 December 2008 03:28 PM
dougsmith - 28 November 2008 08:32 AM

Thanks! I’ll check them out after the long weekend.

Last night I posted an example “social experiment” in the General Discussion forum.  Anyone interested in playing with the threats-to-validity framework might try using it to pick apart that study and design a better one.

If I were more ambitious, I might offer a prize for the best study—but then I’d have to judge the entries ohh , obtain a prize, etc.  So for now I’m counting on intrinsic motivation or sheer boredom to push folks into taking a whack at this collective study-design exercise.

I can’t find your exercize in the General Discussion Forum.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 10 March 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-11-26

VYAZMA: I posted that thread—Social Experiments “for” Skeptics: #1.1—on 8 December ‘08.  It was thoroughly ignored (the only 2 replies are from me); my approach clearly wasn’t effective, and looking back at it I see that my enthusiasm was allocated poorly. smile  I’ve since posted a few other things about evidence-based activism, but in light of the feedback (or lack thereof) I’m currently re-thinking my strategy for taking advantage of this forum’s collective intellect.

Signature 

Adam

Posted: 11 March 2009 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4534
Joined  2008-08-14
PsyStat - 10 March 2009 08:03 PM

VYAZMA: I posted that thread—Social Experiments “for” Skeptics: #1.1—on 8 December ‘08.  It was thoroughly ignored (the only 2 replies are from me); my approach clearly wasn’t effective, and looking back at it I see that my enthusiasm was allocated poorly. smile  I’ve since posted a few other things about evidence-based activism, but in light of the feedback (or lack thereof) I’m currently re-thinking my strategy for taking advantage of this forum’s collective intellect.

If you’re still around PsyStat,I found your Thread.(I didn’t look far back enough.)I think the 2 example signs might be the first thing to think about.I’m no statistics expert,but your ideas on how to measure the signs effectiveness seem sound.
I just feel that more “creative ways” must be used in the wording of the signs.Especially now in these troubled times,perhaps some techniques of reverse reinforcement,such as “Attend Your Church This Week” or “The Bible has all the Answers to Your Troubles”.
We already see signs like these now,of course they’re meant seriously,but I can’t help wondering if they do damage.
“Stop daydreaming in church-pay attention to god”

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

2 of 2

‹‹ Hello all!      Greetings ››