Julia Sweeney ‘Letting go of God’
Posted: 28 November 2008 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

This is the perfect (secular) Christmas gift for your secular atheist/humanist/agnostic persons in your life. She is hilarious! Check out her video clip on youtube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geRUTfgTQlo&feature=related

[ Edited: 28 November 2008 06:06 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 November 2008 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, there was previous discussion of her CD HERE. (FYI, to help in future searches, her name is actually spelled “Sweeney”).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 November 2008 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7570
Joined  2007-03-02

I like Julia.  She’s wonderful and expresses a lot of my own thoughts I came about my own disbelief much the same way, except I probably spent longer studying the subject, not just Xianity, but many of the different religions and myths.  I only wish my mother (ironically also named Julia) would watch it and not reject it before it even gets started.  Of course, she’s still tripping over the fact I don’t attend any church anymore.  We haven’t even gotten to the non-theist part yet.  However, if she gave Julia Sweeney a chance, she might understand or she might come up with the usual excuses.  The thing is, Julia Sweeney says it so much better than I ever could and makes people laugh at the same time.  I just love what she said about John on acid.  LOL  That was one of the best lines.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 28 November 2008 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 28 November 2008 08:42 AM

Yes, there was previous discussion of her CD HERE. (FYI, to help in future searches, her name is actually spelled “Sweeney”).

I missed THAT conversation! I thought I’d found an unknown gem!!!!!! Please merge the threads!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 November 2008 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Asanta, you may want to go to the top right corner of the forum sheet and enter “Sweeney” in search.  I just did it and got about twenty posts in as many different threads to show up. 

Occam

Posted: 28 November 2008 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

It would have helped MY search if I’d spelled her name correctly!!!! LOL I’m glad she’s popular!

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2008 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 28 November 2008 03:28 PM
dougsmith - 28 November 2008 08:42 AM

I missed THAT conversation! I thought I’d found an unknown gem!!!!!! Please merge the threads!

Well, it’s a slightly different topic, so I think we can keep them separate. You may want to edit the title of the thread to correct the spelling though.

smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 November 2008 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Mriana - 28 November 2008 10:29 AM

I like Julia.  .

I agree 100%—get the CD or download the audio. 
I would be interested in how anyone else fared with sharing it with family/friends who weren’t already non-religious.  I just keep hesitating.

Jackson

Posted: 30 November 2008 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

That clip was really funny! I’m an instant fan of hers, now.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 16 December 2008 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-07-28

I will have to check this out. Sounds good! I watched her “And God Said ‘Ha!’” DVD this year and really enjoyed it. I think she also wrote a forward to a book I read this year (can’t recall which one). I liked her insight on the DVD.

Posted: 16 December 2008 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I finally received the CD I’d ordered—the DVD is out of stock. I LOVED IT! It was an instant favorite, I would not hesitate to recommend it for any skeptic (or sceptic!)

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2008 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

now you see why I suggested that she’d be a great ‘representative’ atheist for the community, eh?  :)

one would have to be a cold fish indeed to not like Julia Sweeney (imo:)

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’