2 of 2
Child Afraid of Death - Asking About Heaven
Posted: 04 December 2008 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Sounds to me also like good advice, asanta.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 December 2008 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Yes, I’m on top of this, and watching him carefully. Thank you for your advice, I value your opinion as a nurse and a mother.  smile

My intent of this forum topic was simply to seek the experiences of other non-religious parents, and how they helped their children cope with death in the family - without the religious aspect that most families use to grieve. We are the only family we know around here who has no religious beliefs.

And even our friends who don’t go to church still tell their kids “An angel took grandma to heaven, and she’s so happy now.” So it broke my heart to tell my son we didn’t believe in heaven when he asked. It’s even what our parents told us when we were kids and our grandparents died.

So helping a child cope with death, without religion, is all new to us. I wanted to hear how others have helped their children cope with death, especially if others were telling them about “heaven” and giving conflicting and confusing information to the children. (i.e. they are told at home there is no heaven, but other relatives tell them there is a heaven, causing them upset.)

I apologize if my posts got off track - on my own topic of all things!

[ Edited: 04 December 2008 08:41 AM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

2 of 2