1 of 2
The “Log” on Mars
Posted: 04 December 2008 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

An image sent back from the Red Planet has revealed an object bearing an uncanny resemblance to a wooden log. It was captured by the Mars Rover near the Endurance Crater.

The find has excited conspiracy theorists on blogs and websites who claim it is evidence there are vast forests on Mars that have been kept from the public.

It is more likely to be a case of pareidolia - where a random stimulus is perceived as having significance, be it a symbol seen in a cloud or a face on a piece of toast.

Scientists theorize the phenomenon occurs because humans are hardwired to recognise familiar objects as a survival technique.

Source.

Just like those ignorant Martians to use wood instead of space-age titanium-based alloys for their construction materials.  No wonder they never accounted for the common cold back when they tried to take us over!  wink 

My guess is that it is Martian sand blown into that shape, perhaps up against an existing rock or indentation in the ground.  Give it a few weeks to see if the sand shifts, thus changing its shape or getting rid of it entirely. 

MarsLog1.jpg

MarsLog2.jpg

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 04 December 2008 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

Wow, they’ve finally found a piece of Noah’s ark.  That really was a MASSIVE flood.

Okay, to be serious.  My guess is that it’s the hardened crust of an old “polygon” that has flaked off, been up ended into a crevasse between polygons, and wind-eroded down to near ground-level.

[ Edited: 04 December 2008 03:21 PM by the PC apeman ]
 Signature 

PC

Posted: 04 December 2008 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-04-30

yet another proof that nasa never left earth! this is in some desert somewhere…

Signature 

Dmitriy
http://www.refuter.com

Posted: 04 December 2008 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1064
Joined  2007-06-20

Captain’s Log: Stardate 115-2004…  grin

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 04 December 2008 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Wait a few weeks until it morphs into the face of the Virgin Mary.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 04 December 2008 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

It is certainly an interesting photograph but without further evidence it’s impossible to draw any significant conclusions. I suspect that the object itself is not cylindrical, as there are few geological processes the produce cylindrical structures. It’s more likely the upper edge of a piece that extends below the surface. It could be interesting evidence of a sedimentary process.

Let’s get some more data.

Posted: 05 December 2008 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
Chris Crawford - 04 December 2008 06:47 PM

It’s more likely the upper edge of a piece that extends below the surface. It could be interesting evidence of a sedimentary process.

That’s a good point. The mind often sees what it expects to see, but there could be more to this below the surface. I think its the top edge of that monolith from 2001.  wink

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 December 2008 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-09-18

I checked over at Bad Astronomy and it turns out this thing has triggered quite a phenomenon. The tinfoil hat people are claiming that NASA has been covering up this clear proof of life on Mars. As it happens, the image was published by NASA in 2005—not much of a coverup. Apparently the rock isn’t that interesting at all, because nobody has published any papers about it. My guess is that it looks just like thousands of other rocks scientists have seen in the Mars photos. One other factor: there are two other rocks further to the right that look like an extension of the same rock. You can see them at the right edge of the upper photo.

One other detail: both ends of the “log” are snapped off cleanly, perpendicular to the main axis of the log. Real logs don’t break that way: the ends are jagged. Therefore this indicates that either a) it’s not a log, or b) Martians with chainsaws cut it down.

[ Edited: 05 December 2008 09:40 AM by Chris Crawford ]

Posted: 06 December 2008 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Well of course it’s a log. Bigfoot dropped it, while carrying it to build his new cabin.

NASA Photo Shows Bigfoot on Mars

wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 07 December 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
Jules - 06 December 2008 07:51 PM

Well of course it’s a log. Bigfoot dropped it, while carrying it to build his new cabin.

NASA Photo Shows Bigfoot on Mars

wink

Jules thanks for that link—this is an impressive photo.

There is a link to the big JPL photo there and one can play where’s Waldo….

It’s an incredibly impressive photo and it’s remarkable how Earth-like Mars looks {just needs more water, like the SouthWest US, and air…}

Jackson.

Posted: 07 December 2008 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-09-18

Actually, that photograph, when examined in detail, contains more proof of life on Mars. If you examine the full-size image, you will find, approximately 10% of the way in from the left edge and 25% of the way up from the bottom edge, a dark erect penis, which proves that a) Martians continue to roam the Martian surface; b) they have black skin; c) there are Martian males; d) they are sexually aroused by odd-looking contraptions (probably super-nerds); e) when startled, they seek protection by burying themselves in the sand.

Posted: 07 December 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Yes, within that story, is This Link A very beautiful image of the surface of Mars. It is really gorgeous. And it is fun to play “Where’s Waldo?” and try to find the “bigfoot.”

You can also search for the martian peckers that Mr. Crawford refers to, if you are so inclined. I suppose the photos of Mars serve as sort of an inkblot test. Some see aliens, some see lumber, and Mr. Crawford sees, well… LOL

Edit P.S. If anyone hasn’t tried it yet, when you click on the link, click any part of the photo to magnify it greatly. The detail is amazing. Click it again to zoom back out and click in a different area. All jokes aside, the images are excellent!

[ Edited: 07 December 2008 09:55 AM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 07 December 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-09-18

Now just a minute here: my observation in this matter is purely scientific. If I were in any way permitting my own inclinations to influence my objective judgement, I would be seeing breasts. Hmm… let me go back and look more carefully.

Posted: 07 December 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I’m sure if you’re looking for them, you’ll find suitably shaped pairs of boulders somewhere in the background.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2008 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

When you search Amazon for books about “martian artifacts,” the results include three supposedly nonfiction books, all in print, about past alien civilizations on Mars. 

I have one of them.  I keep it next to my copy of “Inside the Flying Saucers” by George Adamski.

The book, that is, not a Martian civilization.  Those are too dusty to bring into the house.

Posted: 14 December 2008 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-10-29

I zoomed in on Jules’ link there, and you can see from the seams in it that it is obviously a painted backdrop in some studio, probably over at Disney, which is in cahoots with the space program.  That’s why they put the theme park in Orlando.  Why the big ruse?  It’s all to keep the lavish money our government throws at the space program coming.  That’s why you see all those NASA scientists driving jaguars to work- they have to do something with all that money.  Now this log-rumour thing is just to get people even more fired up to send humans to Mars, which will also be staged over at Disney, too.

[ Edited: 14 December 2008 05:17 PM by fausinator ]
 Signature 

J.K. Fausnight

When I was 15 years old, I could no longer reconcile religion with reality, and I knew one of them would have to go.  It still amazes me how many people make the other choice.

1 of 2