Does CFI support individual members who face discrimination?
Posted: 09 December 2008 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-12-09

What I’ve found in my experiences with Atheist/Humanist groups is the lack of community support for members who face discrimination. What can CFI offer?

Signature 

Hypocrites beware, I’m prickly.
I boycott Facebook and Yahoo! for they have discriminated again me.

Posted: 09 December 2008 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

Hello godfree2.  Welcome to CFI forums.  What sort of discrimination are you talking about?  What sort of support are you looking for?  Something tangible?  (Disclaimer: I don’t represent CFI in any way.  I’m just another poster here like yourself.)

PC

Signature 

PC

Posted: 09 December 2008 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-09

I’m talking about:
having your internet connection removed unjustly,
being fired or harassed by a religious boss,
being unjustly banned from internet social sites,
being cyber stalked,

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2008 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

Are these things that are happening to you?  Who is doing them?

Signature 

PC

Posted: 09 December 2008 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-09

they have happened to me and they may happen again,
since I don’t believe the world is out to et me, others must be experiencing similar discrimination

Signature 

Posted: 09 December 2008 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-06-20

I guess I’m fortunate in that none of those things have happened to me.  Without specifics, it’s hard to know what exactly the pattern is there, if any.

Signature 

PC

Posted: 09 December 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19
godfree2 - 09 December 2008 09:17 AM

I’m talking about:
having your internet connection removed unjustly,
being fired or harassed by a religious boss,
being unjustly banned from internet social sites,
being cyber stalked,

Well…I’m not sure what CFI can offer, but you might want to look into legal options with some of those…

1. For your internet connection, are you talking about your home? Did your provider shut you down because of your religion/lack thereof?
2. I’ll need to look it up, but i’m 99% sure this is illegal discrimination, IF you can prove he fired you based on the religious preference.
3. Check the social site’s policy and license agreement. Maybe they have certain terms for people who use their site. And they have every right to ban people based on their choice.
4. Cyber-stalked…what do you mean?

Posted: 09 December 2008 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Sounds like you need an attorney, not CFI. If you have a solid case, an attorney might take your case for no money up front and instead take a cut of any settlement received.

I’ve heard of cases of “anti-religious” people having their social networking site or internet service disrupted, however, it was allegedly because they were harrassing the religious or violating other policies - not because they simply expressed different points of view. There are all kinds of small things in the “terms of service” policies in social sites and internet services that we rarely read through fully before checking the “I Agree” button to continue. (But I wouldn’t put it past someone who hates atheists to nitpick and find something small with which to terminate the service.) Joining a service - website or service provider - does not guarantee freedom of speech. These are companies you sign up with, and the user must agree to abide by the company’s rules. (At least this is my understanding of how it works. I may be misinformed.)

Regarding being fired for being an atheist, it’s hard to prove unless you have really solid evidence such as emails, memos, voicemails, or witnesses. Also, if the employer was a non-profit group of any kind (charities, churches, religiously affiliated social services, etc.) they CAN legally fire you for not being the same religion. Otherwise it’s none of their business what church you do or do not attend.

As far as being “cyber stalked” by religious nuts, I don’t know what to do about that other than get a new facebook website and email address, etc. Well, maybe if the same people can “get you banned” can’t you “get them banned” for harrassing you? Harrassment would probably violate their terms of service agreement with the host company.

Just thinking out loud, I guess. Hope you find a token or two of helpful ideas or starting points in that mess.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 04 March 2011 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-03-04

Ya, you’re not the only one.

[ Edited: 05 March 2011 01:21 AM by joeblack ]