1 of 2
new humanist in Canada
Posted: 19 March 2006 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-03-18

I love this website and will tell my friends (I heard of it through the podcast last week even though no one seems to have taken up that discussion yet)

I am a college student atheistic humanist who believes in activism and getting involved

Finally there is a organization to join and help out, although there isnt one at my school yet

I will try to start one

Anyone else from Canada?  Toronto area specifically?

Posted: 19 March 2006 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-03-18

new humanist in Canada

I love this website and will tell my friends (I heard of it through the podcast last week even though no one seems to have taken up that discussion yet)

I am a college student atheistic humanist who believes in activism and getting involved

Finally there is a organization to join and help out, although there isnt one at my school yet

I will try to start one

Posted: 19 March 2006 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-03-09

Hi!

Not from Toronto, but I love it there.  I stayed with a tattoo artist by a big sanitarium.  Walked all over and ate great food.  Can’t wait to visit again!

Signature 

This is my signature.

Posted: 22 March 2006 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Welcome!

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 24 March 2006 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

Re: new humanist in Canada

[quote author=“skeptic_boi”]I love this website and will tell my friends ...

skeptic_boi,
Welcome to the site.
I visited Canada a few times when I lived in Vermont.  Now I am at the other end or the country. 

Enjoy.

Elder Norm

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.

Posted: 31 March 2006 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Is it cold up there.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 18 July 2006 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-07-18

Hi,

I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I just joined the site today, so now I’ll answer!

I’m from Toronto and I help run an active secular group called the Toronto Secular Alliance (http://www.secularalliance.ca). We are mainly student run, doing stuff around U of T and beyond. We also just recently opened up the Secular Freethought Centre - a community centre for atheists, humanists and all of us fun people! We always welcome new visitors. We are at 216 Beverley (just south of College and St. George)

And if you were in Canada today, you sure wouldn’t think it was cold. Over 40 degrees in the shade and smog alerts everywhere…not a great day to be a field archaeologist.

Signature 

Life, is like a grapefruit… it’s orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It’s got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.
                      -Douglas Adams

Posted: 20 July 2006 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

HI Jennie and Skeptic_Boi,
Good to have you both, BTW Jennie 40 degrees is really really cold to me, I live in the Florida Keys.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 20 July 2006 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

People from Southern Florida think that 70 degrees is really cold!!!

Posted: 20 July 2006 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

Umm, we might be getting our temp systems mixed up. We’re metric people! My 40 degrees is equivalent to 100 degrees out there. Defintely hot enough for me.

Signature 

Life, is like a grapefruit… it’s orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It’s got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.
                      -Douglas Adams

Posted: 21 July 2006 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

right! Celsius, sensible, like the rest of the world.

Posted: 21 July 2006 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-02-23

Sorry It’s hard for an old dog to learn new tricks, Just when I was getting used to kilos and kilometers someone pops Celsius on me. And then, darn thing seems to have a geometric relationship to Fahrenheit that I can’t figure for the life of me? Without a cheat sheet that is.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 21 July 2006 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-07-18

I actually grew up with both systems, so I as a child I used them interchangably. This got confusing at times because when it was cold, it was “below zero” and when it was hot, it was “over a hundred.” Now that I work outside all day, I listen to the heat reports every morning, so I’m more or less completely in celsius now.

I am completely hopeless with miles and I don’t even have a vague idea about yards.

Signature 

-Douglas Adams

Posted: 22 July 2006 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“Jennie”]I am completely hopeless with miles and I don’t even have a vague idea about yards.

Just as well ... the metric system is much more ‘scientific’ in the sense of being easier to calculate with. Fact is that the US is way behind the times on this one.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 July 2006 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-07-24

Note to Jimmie:  C equals 5/9(F-32) and F equals 9/5C plus 32

Note to Jennie - Meters (aka metres) are about 1.1 yds and yards are about .9M.  Km is about .6mi

Anyway, just want to say “hi” to everybody, so for now I’ll just borrow skeptic’s thread. Maybe I’ll start my own introduction later.

Signature 

Religious war at its most basic level is a disagreement over who has the best imaginary friend.

Posted: 25 July 2006 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-02-23

BigBillK, take a look at the thread An Atheist President in 2008 in Politics and Social Issues and the thread “Marketing Our Philosophy to the Youth of America” in Religion and Secularism which really should be renamed “Home Schooling” - thanks for the conversion factors. Now I know why I can’t ever remember the Fahrenheit to Celsius one
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL

1 of 2