1 of 2
Former clergy onboard
Posted: 19 March 2006 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2006-03-19

My name is David Moreau and I am a recovering Christian. I was atheist until about 10 years old, but various experiences started me thinking about God. I would not commit to a particular religion at that time since none could show me that it needed to be joined or that there really is a God, until I was introduced to the Iglesia ni Cristo, or Church of Christ in English. This church indigenous to the Philippines has very interesting doctrines, especially to a skeptical 16 year old. They actually taught lessons to justify using the Bible and to show the difference of their group from others, and due to my lack of depth in the Bible and theology, I was convinced.

After 6 years I went to their ministerial college in the Philippines and studied there, remaining in the Philippines almost 10 years. During years 4-10 I was preaching in worship services before hundred of people, teaching bible studies, and counselling members with problems. I seemed like a model minister on the outside. Little did they know that from my third year on I has a serious problem with this conservative religion’s view on science. I also had problems with the lack of sophistication in many of the arguments and doctrines of the Church.

Last year, I wrote a letter to the second in charge of the church mentioning my new disbelief and containing 22-page study notes containing questions regarding church doctrines. I did this privately to avoid ruining the faith of others. The result: they sent me home and essentially expelled me from their Church.

At least this experience has given me great insight into the mind of a religious person and the good side of religion. Nevertheless, I could not stomach the intellectual dishonesty and delusions that religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) rests upon.

David

Posted: 19 March 2006 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19

Former clergy onboard

My name is David Moreau and I am a recovering Christian. I was atheist until about 10 years old, but various experiences started me thinking about God. I would not commit to a particular religion at that time since none could show me that it needed to be joined or that there really is a God, until I was introduced to the Iglesia ni Cristo, or Church of Christ in English. This church indigenous to the Philippines has very interesting doctrines, especially to a skeptical 16 year old. They actually taught lessons to justify using the Bible and to show the difference of their group from others, and due to my lack of depth in the Bible and theology, I was convinced.

After 6 years I went to their ministerial college in the Philippines and studied there, remaining in the Philippines almost 10 years. During years 4-10 I was preaching in worship services before hundred of people, teaching bible studies, and counselling members with problems. I seemed like a model minister on the outside. Little did they know that from my third year on I has a serious problem with this conservative religion’s view on science. I also had problems with the lack of sophistication in many of the arguments and doctrines of the Church.

Last year, I wrote a letter to the second in charge of the church mentioning my new disbelief and containing 22-page study notes containing questions regarding church doctrines. I did this privately to avoid ruining the faith of others. The result: they sent me home and essentially expelled me from their Church.

At least this experience has given me great insight into the mind of a religious person and the good side of religion. Nevertheless, I could not stomach the intellectual dishonesty and delusions that religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) rests upon.

David

Posted: 19 March 2006 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Re: Former clergy onboard

[quote author=“dmoreau”]My name is David Moreau and I am a recovering Christian.

——8x——snip——8x——snip——8x——snip

Nevertheless, I could not stomach the intellectual dishonesty and delusions that religion (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) rests upon.

David

I wish you well and hope you find what you’re looking
for.  Have a good day.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 19 March 2006 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-03-09

Hi, dmoreau.

My husband’s Philippino, and his mom’s a Christian of nutty proportions.  I’d love to hear more about your stay over there.  Lots more.

And how’d you like the Brando version?  :?

Signature 

This is my signature.

Posted: 22 March 2006 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I hear phillipino’s make good fried bannanas.  Welcome to CFI!

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 22 March 2006 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]I hear phillipino’s make good fried bannanas.  Welcome to CFI!

You heard correctly. Bananacue is a common Filipino snack sold by street vendors. Personally, I prefer bananas raw, but the bananacues are tasty. They use a shorter variety of banana in the banana cues.

They also slice bananas and fry them that way, which I prefer. In my experience, Puerto Ricans do the same.

The Philippines also has great mangoes.

Posted: 23 March 2006 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

My best friends girlfriend’s mother is phillipino and the two of the them (friend and his girlfriend) brag about how good they taste.

Signature 

Posted: 23 March 2006 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]My best friends girlfriend’s mother is phillipino and the two of the them (friend and his girlfriend) brag about how good they taste.

Turon is also tasty—that’s like a banana egg roll.

Posted: 24 March 2006 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

all this talk of food is making me hungry.  How do you make a Turon?

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2006 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]all this talk of food is making me hungry.  How do you make a Turon?

They are deep fried and I believe usually use a variety of banana slightly different from the type we are used to. Best to ask a Filipino.

Posted: 24 March 2006 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

dmoreau,
Welcome.  I am sure you will many different kinds of people here and different belief structures too. 

Have fun.

Elder Norm

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.

Posted: 31 March 2006 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

And countless grammar and spelling mistakes.

Signature 

Posted: 25 June 2006 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-06-25

Questions for David Moreau

David,

I was intrigued by your claim that you are a former INC minister that was booted out by the church. I just want to know if you did what you said you did. I will ask you a few questions.

1. Who is the founder of the Iglesia ni Cristo?
2. Who is the incumbent INC executive minister?
3. What is the INC church’s doctrine on Crhist nature?

If you want to respond to me via my personal email, here it is: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Willy Q

Posted: 26 June 2006 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

David
Welcome to our forums, you seems to have things well in hand. Sorry about the way you had to discover that the religious right brooks no rational discourse.

Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 02 July 2006 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2006-03-29

Hi David

What are your thoughts on spiritualism in general and the hereafter?

Peace.

Signature 

The sound made of a tree falling when no one is there….. is Thought Adjusted.

Posted: 02 July 2006 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19

My thoughts on the ‘hereafter’ is that we need to define the term. I don’t believe in any state of being apart from this creature that we are and our conciousness. When the body dies, any processes that generated our thoughts and the sense of self that we feel stops. There is nothing to continue on exept the matter that made us what we are.

Spirituality? How do you define the term?

1 of 2