Self-evident truths
Posted: 20 March 2006 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2006-03-19

[quote:d0c073ce4b]We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.[/quote:d0c073ce4b]

I find it ironic that the truths the Declaration of Independence considers ‘self-evident’ are probably not held by the majority of people in the world. If these are natural laws, as some would consider them, why must we think and reflect abstractly to have a chance of aligning our worldview to this claim? Why are the less educated majority in the world not of the same mindset? How could these ‘truths’ be self-evident if it takes a long philosophical tradition to reach these conclusions?

If they are self-evident, why was is not self-evident that these priciples should apply not only to white men, but to all human beings?

I find it disturbing that the ‘self-evident truths’ ‘observed’ by philosophers and political scientists are not intuitive to the majority who lack their training. I fear that, at times, the more I think about the world and make abstractions, the farther I get from reality.

Does anyone know of any other species exhibiting behavior that seems to follow these self-evident principles?

[Note: the mentioned creator = Nature’s God in paragraph 1, clearly not an endorsement of the Bible]

Posted: 20 March 2006 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2006-03-19

Self-evident truths

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I find it ironic that the truths the Declaration of Independence considers ‘self-evident’ are probably not held by the majority of people in the world. If these are natural laws, as some would consider them, why must we think and reflect abstractly to have a chance of aligning our worldview to this claim? Why are the less educated majority in the world not of the same mindset? How could these ‘truths’ be self-evident if it takes a long philosophical tradition to reach these conclusions?

If they are self-evident, why was is not self-evident that these priciples should apply not only to white men, but to all human beings?

I find it disturbing that the ‘self-evident truths’ ‘observed’ by philosophers and political scientists are not intuitive to the majority who lack their training. I fear that, at times, the more I think about the world and make abstractions, the farther I get from reality.

Does anyone know of any other species exhibiting behavior that seems to follow these self-evident principles?

[Note: the mentioned creator = Nature’s God in paragraph 1, clearly not an endorsement of the Bible]

Posted: 29 March 2006 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2005-11-01

Hmmm,  please consider reading any one of the dozens of political analysis done on what the original writers of the document were trying to do. 

As I understand it, they were writing a document to the King of England but addressed to the world.  Straight forward politics. grin

Elder Norm

Remember, in this world, nothing exists in a political vaccum. grin

Signature 

ARO "www.aro-religion.org"  The belief in Reality and the organized seach for its measure.