1 of 2
Vicar removes “horrifying” crucifix from outside of church
Posted: 10 January 2009 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

Apparently the fairly graphic representation of the agonies of the cross were “upsetting the children” and was,  in their words, a “put-off.” Now, I’ll admit I’ve been away from Mother Church for awhile, but as an erstwhile good Irish Catholic boy,  I seem to recall being told over and over again that the unimaginable agonies of Jesus on the cross were the point of Christianity; his agonies and suffering were what redeemed humanity. Silly little bake-sale Christians; when they say things like “we need a more uplifting and inspiring symbol than execution on a cross,” we realize that they’ve lost any reverence for—hell, any understanding of —the broken,  tortured body that for 2000 years was the central tenet of their faith.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/06/crucifixion-church-vicar-sculpture-copnall

A statue of the crucifixion has been taken down from its perch on a church in Sussex because it was scaring local children and deterring worshippers, a vicar admitted today.
...snip…
Souter, formerly a cell biologist, said: “The crucifix expressed suffering, torment, pain and anguish. It was a scary image, particularly for children. Parents didn’t want to walk past it with their kids, because they found it so horrifying.

“It wasn’t a suitable image for the outside of a church wanting to welcome worshippers. In fact, it was a real put-off.

“We’re all about hope, encouragement and the joy of the Christian faith. We want to communicate good news, not bad news, so we need a more uplifting and inspiring symbol than execution on a cross.”

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 January 2009 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10

This old altar boy thinks you are quite right.  And, although I too have been away from the Church for some time, I also feel there is something unfortunate about the tendency to ignore the suffering of Jesus in modern Christianity—it seems as if there is something dishonest about it, and indeed it can be taken to absurd lengths (as parodied by “Buddy Jesus” in that film, I forget its name—“Dogma” perhaps).

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 January 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Another altar boy? I too rang the bells, transferred the bible from one side of the altar to another, held the little paddle underneath the host, and all that other stuff. It still didn’t save my soul.

Yes, if we’re going to get all feel-good about this, why not change the movie “The Passion of the Christ” to “The Spanking of the Christ”? How about “Jesus did 30 days of community service work to save your soul”?

Posted: 10 January 2009 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Well, you see what happens to all the good alter boys? They end up on CFI! Perhaps I should send my boy to church, to ensure a healthy skeptic outcome.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 10 January 2009 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, Jules, and he could quite possibly be introduced to other interesting experiences by a “loving” priest. 

If you recall the old film, “The Falcon and the Snowman”, the falconer was Chris Boyce, a one house away neighbor of mine many years ago.  A great kid, a devout altar boy, and arrested for trying to sell government secrets to the Russians. 

Occam

Posted: 10 January 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Oh don’t worry, I was just kidding.  wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 January 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-09-10
Jules - 10 January 2009 02:28 PM

Well, you see what happens to all the good alter boys? They end up on CFI! Perhaps I should send my boy to church, to ensure a healthy skeptic outcome.  LOL

I think that establishing the current religious/nonreligious beliefs of former altar boys would make an interesting study.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 January 2009 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
ciceronianus - 10 January 2009 08:10 AM

This old altar boy thinks you are quite right.  And, although I too have been away from the Church for some time, I also feel there is something unfortunate about the tendency to ignore the suffering of Jesus in modern Christianity—it seems as if there is something dishonest about it, and indeed it can be taken to absurd lengths (as parodied by “Buddy Jesus” in that film, I forget its name—“Dogma” perhaps).

So….what do you think of the dogmatic torturefest that went by the screen name of Passion of the Christ? Has anyone been able to pull up a picture of the ‘offensive’ cross?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 January 2009 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

crucifix.jpg

The horribly graphic crucifix

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 11 January 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Oooookkkkkkaaaaaayyyyyy! I don’t get it. It looks like the crucifix on the church I attended as a child.And the one at our church had blood running down the face and a bloody gash on ‘his’ side.  Come to think of it, most churches I see display only a cross—-without the body on it.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 January 2009 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, I agree, Asanta.  When I was a kid I was always fascinated by all the blood on his face and where the Roman soldiers speared him in his side.  Disgusting that even the churches are becoming politically correct.  Gimme that old time religion.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 12 January 2009 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
Occam - 12 January 2009 12:53 AM

Yeah, I agree, Asanta.  When I was a kid I was always fascinated by all the blood on his face and where the Roman soldiers speared him in his side.  Disgusting that even the churches are becoming politically correct.  Gimme that old time religion.  LOL

Occam

I hear what you’re saying. grin  And in an odd way, I agree. If you’re going to be Christian, then at least have the moral courage to step up and admit
that the central mythological symbol of your faith is a tortured, brutalized human body, ignominiously executed as a criminal. If not, then become, oh,
I don’t know, a Unitarian or something.  wink

And I agree with the other poster: that “horrifying” crucifix is a joke. The one hanging next to the pulpit in Saint Patrick’s Church in Jersey City was
a Grand Guignol horrorshow next to that little inoffensive crucifix they found so upsetting.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 12 January 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

This would NEVER happen in America. Violence is no big deal. Bloody bodies, gore— we see it every day on television, and they’re getting really creepy these days.

Of course, if his loin cloth were removed, that crucifix would be gone in a minute.

Posted: 12 January 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
Chris Crawford - 12 January 2009 09:59 AM

This would NEVER happen in America. Violence is no big deal. Bloody bodies, gore— we see it every day on television, and they’re getting really creepy these days.

Of course, if his loin cloth were removed, that crucifix would be gone in a minute.

That’s America for you. A gorefest like “The Passion of the Christ” is all the rage. But show just one lousy little peenie,
and WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP! Puritan Police! FREEZE, sucker!!!

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 12 January 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

If that is what is horrifying, what is so different about that than others like it?  Looks the same to me.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 January 2009 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

You raise a good point, Steveg.  I doubt that the Roman soldiers who drove stakes through his hands and feet, stabbed him with spears, and poured salt in his wounds would have been concerned to have carefully put a loin cloth around his waist.  In the interests of historical accuracy shouldn’t all these depictions of the crucifiction (I know, it should be an x, but like this more) show Jesus as naked?  LOL

Occam

1 of 2