2 of 2
Vicar removes “horrifying” crucifix from outside of church
Posted: 12 January 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Chris Crawford - 12 January 2009 09:59 AM

Of course, if his loin cloth were removed, that crucifix would be gone in a minute.

LOL If his loin cloth were gone, I’d have been more interested in attending church and fighting to sit in the front pew. I doubt it would have made the ministers or dogma any more interesting though, but at least I would have something interesting to look at during my mandatory attendance time! cool smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 January 2009 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2008-09-10
asanta - 11 January 2009 07:01 PM
ciceronianus - 10 January 2009 08:10 AM

This old altar boy thinks you are quite right.  And, although I too have been away from the Church for some time, I also feel there is something unfortunate about the tendency to ignore the suffering of Jesus in modern Christianity—it seems as if there is something dishonest about it, and indeed it can be taken to absurd lengths (as parodied by “Buddy Jesus” in that film, I forget its name—“Dogma” perhaps).

So….what do you think of the dogmatic torturefest that went by the screen name of Passion of the Christ? Has anyone been able to pull up a picture of the ‘offensive’ cross?

I confess I have not (mea culpa?) seen The Passion of the Christ, and likely will not, being already convinced someone crucified suffers horribly.  I don’t need Mel Gibson’s help in coming to that realization.

Signature 

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain.” 
—F. Schiller

http://theblogofciceronianus.blogspot.com

Posted: 13 January 2009 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
ciceronianus - 13 January 2009 02:33 PM

will not, being already convinced someone crucified suffers horribly.  I don’t need Mel Gibson’s help in coming to that realization.

I also refused to see it. I saw no purpose in lining Mel Gibson’s pockets watching a torturefest.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 January 2009 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

We saw it.  My older son and I could not stand it.  We were both in tears from it, but my younger son loved it.  Why I don’t know.  He bought the DVD and when he popped it into the DVD player, my older son and I left the room to do other things.  Now, I don’t know where the DVD went, I have my suspecions, but it disappeared and the case is empty.  I can only assume my older son managed to dispose of it.  LOL  I can only hope.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 January 2009 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-01-24

I have always been an atheist but I was dragged to church as a child.  I’d sit there and stare at the gory depictions and wonder to myself why this religion stuff was so depressing.  Even at the end of it all, god is supposed to destroy quite a bit.  It’s a scare tactic.  Follow us or you will be in lots of pain.  I heard my grandmother tell one of her great grandkids that if they didn’t spend time with her they were doomed to hell…how far does it go?

Signature 

“knowledge is power”

2 of 2