2 of 3
The Inauguration
Posted: 20 January 2009 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2008-03-09
Chris Crawford - 20 January 2009 05:09 PM

The only thing that puzzled me was his reference to harnessing the soil for our energy. ..... It took me a minute to realize that he was talking about agricultural energy—which disappoints me. That stuff is a crock.

I hadn’t thought of that. I thought he was referring to geo-thermal - which would be a good thing, no?

Posted: 20 January 2009 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Yeah, sure, geothermal is a great source of energy. There can be some local problems with water requirements for the coolers, and there’s often a whiff of pollution that comes from bleeding off some of the gases that come out of the water, but it’s seldom of any significance. Indeed, I would expect that they’ve cut that down a lot since I was up on the technology in the 1970s.

Small-scale geothermal potential is enormous. There are only a few spots with the capacity to support a full-scale power plant, but there are designs for small plant that tap places like hot springs and supply less than a megawatt. Ever since we started accepting windmills and coming up with new business models allowing small-scale plants to feed power into the grid, we’ve been opening up all sorts of interesting possibilities. Power companies were always bent on centralizing power generation, but increasingly we’re looking at options for lots of little plants owned by independent operators feeding power into the grid.

Posted: 20 January 2009 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
George - 20 January 2009 11:00 AM

I thought the speech was okay, but the following poem was horrible.

Boy do I agree that poem stunk.
It got me to thinking how nearly impossible good meaningful poetry is.

I did like the end of the closing prayer

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 21 January 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
macgyver - 20 January 2009 03:35 PM

As I watched the TV reporters interview citizens I heard over and over again the same comment “I never thought I would see a black man elected president in my lifetime”.

I’m miffed that no one mentions the fact, or its significance, that the man was a Professor for twelve years.

The bitch about Obama’s speech being filled with empty platitudes is hollow as Occam’s post illustrates.
Much of it may be understated, but what can you expect in a twenty minute speech to the nation/world.

The more I listen to it (four times so far) the more impressed I get.

We have a thinking man,
a feeling man,
an insightful man,
a powerful politician,
and I believe an honest Servant Of The People.

I feel very pessimistic of the coming few years and have a gut feeling that we don’t have a clue the hard time heading our way.
But, at least in Barack Obama I’m sensing a person I believe will actually hold the nation’s & future’s interest in the forefront.
He has the brains to digest divergent views and the integrity to know he hasn’t all the answers.
Or maybe it’s that I believe Obama knows he belongs to the people and their interestes as opposed to a spoiled brat who believes the nation is his playground.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 21 January 2009 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge - 21 January 2009 12:09 AM

I’m miffed that no one mentions the fact, or its significance, that the man was a Professor for twelve years.

In the very near past, being the most distinguished and lauded professor (or any other highly educated relative specialty) of the most elite University in the country, had no bearing on your electability to the office of the POTUS if you were also black. The black color of the candidate more than canceled out his qualifications.

But, at least in Barack Obama I’m sensing a person I believe will actually hold the nation’s & future’s interest in the forefront.
He has the brains to digest divergent views and the integrity to know he hasn’t all the answers.
Or maybe it’s that I believe Obama knows he belongs to the people and their interestes as opposed to a spoiled brat who believes the nation is his playground.

I’m just hoping that the expectations laid at his feet are going to be much to much for any human to fulfill. And if he is unable to fulfill these superhuman expectations, I hope people will not attack him and see him as a failure. Bush jr was set a very low bar, which he was still unable to jump. It would be ironic if despite accomplishing much more, Obama is seen as ineffective because he was unable to jump over a bar set on the moon!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 January 2009 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge - 20 January 2009 11:47 PM
George - 20 January 2009 11:00 AM

I thought the speech was okay, but the following poem was horrible.

Boy do I agree that poem stunk.
It got me to thinking how nearly impossible good meaningful poetry is.

Did anyone watch Jon Stewart last night? He said the “poem” helped to clear the million people from the National Mall.  LOL

Posted: 21 January 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

how nearly impossible good meaningful poetry is.

As a former literature major, I object vociferously!!!! grin

I agree that President Obama (ahhh, doesn’t that have a nice ring to it?) faces unreasonable expectations. But some leaders really do preside over the remaking of society. FDR was a hero in my house when I was growing up, with JFK’s picture on the wall as well, and I truly believe Obama has the capacity to preside over a remaking of our society (in the RIGHT direction) unlike anything seen since FDR. Lots of things can go wrong, but it’s the first time I’ve had any hope in a long while. I grew up involved in politics, going to protests and such as a kid, and I was 14 when Reagan took office. It’s been a sad, downhill slide for 29 years, and I’d about given up. (Not to say I didn’t like Clinton, but he didn’t inspire me like Obama does, and he was stuck with the Gingrich Congress much of the time). And I also never thought America would get far enough past our deep racism to see a black person as President, so as far as I’m concerned that’s a bonus.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 21 January 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19

I thought the speech was good.  Expectations for him are extremely high.  The things that FDR and JFK has working for them was a smaller government than today with little or no lobbyists and special interest groups asking for hands outs when they were in office compared to today.  The Titanic didn’t turn on a dime and neither will the current government.  The new man at the helm as a very difficult task ahead of him.

I cannot believe some morons are saying President Obama did not actually take the oath of office and still refer to him as President Elect Obama…talk about denial.

Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 21 January 2009 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  74
Joined  2008-04-20

Besides the speech quotes already pointed in previous postings, I think these two are also worth mentioning:

... to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between a people and their government.

... And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world’s resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it. [bold added]

If six billion humans consume at the speed of the average American or European, well, that will make problems at least ten times bigger than they are now.  I am glad he addressed this issue.

Who knows, maybe that fuel efficient car that Carl Sagan was asking for is now ready to become real.

Posted: 21 January 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21

Here’s the Daily Show take on “Truthaddict”‘s concerns:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=216538&title=changefest-09-obamas-inaugural

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

Thanks for the link Bryan. That was pretty funny, if a bit unfair. Then again, rhetoric is rhetoric whether it comes from an old white republician or a young black democrat.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 21 January 2009 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  1161
Joined  2007-07-16
mckenzievmd - 21 January 2009 10:12 AM

I truly believe Obama has the capacity to preside over a remaking of our society (in the RIGHT direction) unlike anything seen since FDR…

Consider this:

“President-elect Barack Obama pledged yesterday to shape a new Social Security and Medicare “bargain” with the American people, saying that the nation’s long-term economic recovery cannot be attained unless the government finally gets control over its most costly entitlement programs.” Washington Post, January 16, 2009

and

“President-elect Barack Obama said Wednesday that overhauling Social Security and Medicare would be “a central part” of his administration’s efforts to contain federal spending, signaling for the first time that he would wade into the thorny politics of entitlement programs.” New York Times, January 7, 2009

Sound familiar?

Recently, the economist Dean Baker wrote:

The classic definition of “chutzpah” is the kid who kills both of his parents and then begs for mercy because he is an orphan. The Wall Street crew are out to top this. After wrecking the economy with their convoluted finances, and tapping the Treasury for trillions in bailout bucks, they now want to cut Social Security and Medicare because we don’t have the money.

Problem is SS is solvent through 2049 with no changes being made, and this is without noting the regressiveness of the income cap, and Medicare is facing problems because of the health care system, not internal issues.

Signature 

“Unsustainable systems can’t be sustained.” ~ Robert Jensen

Posted: 21 January 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Well, I disagree that wanting to improve the SS and Medicare systems is de facto an attempt to cut them as the right wants to. I hear so many figures about what changing demographics will do to the solvency of the programs that I don’t believe any of them. Of course I support strong SS and Medicare, but I don’t take these statements as strong evidence Obama plans to undermine them. Anyway, only time is going to tell us who’s right, so you can apologize or gloat as indicated in a couple of years. wink

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 21 January 2009 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I think the simplest way to fund universal health care is to use Social Security contributions.  And, I suggest only one simple change -  get rid of the limitation preventing assessments on income above $92,000.  It wouldn’t take too many CEOs making a hundred million to cover each year’s universal health care costs.

Occam

Posted: 21 January 2009 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02
mckenzievmd - 21 January 2009 10:12 AM

how nearly impossible good meaningful poetry is.

As a former literature major, I object vociferously!!!! grin

You know…  Obama could have chosen Carol Joyce Oates, but I don’t think she’s done any poetry.  Regardless, there are far better writers and poets out there than the one he chose.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

2 of 3