1 of 7
Humanist Association’s New Ad - featuring Obama
Posted: 20 January 2009 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

“The American Humanist Association is running an ad congratulating Obama on his presidency…with a nice twist.”

Link to story

Image Attachments
obama.jpeg
 Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 20 January 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

I read that and quite honestly, that was one of many reasons why I voted for him.  sigh…  I’m beginning to wonder about that, but he was the better choice, even so.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 January 2009 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20

Obama is the Black Lincoln, more exciting even than a Hot Rod Lincoln to a child of the 60’s like myself.

Humanism is inclusive (I’ve revised it to expel atheists for social climbing - nice try) and the new buzz is not that H is a philosophy, but a sensibility (again my own intarnation).

Work with me on this one… it’s now or never.. wink

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 23 January 2009 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m trying to work with you, but I am not sure what you are trying to say.  It sounds like you threw out atheists and I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 January 2009 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

My favorite Obama inaugural address quotes:

“We will restore science to its rightful place and wield
technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality…”

“We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus,
and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and culture,
drawn from every end of this Earth.”

That Obama seems like he will not prosecute the torturers,
that means that they get away with it.  That is horrible,
especially from a lawyer.  I am as supportive as I am for all
of our representatives, supporting them to do the right thing,
but I have a mixed opinion of President Obama.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 24 January 2009 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20
Mriana - 23 January 2009 10:24 PM

I’m trying to work with you, but I am not sure what you are trying to say.  It sounds like you threw out atheists and I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way.

Just my usual rant that Humanists are equated with atheism, that is the association that most limits H’s awakening.

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 24 January 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
Mriana - 20 January 2009 06:07 PM

I read that and quite honestly, that was one of many reasons why I voted for him.  sigh…  I’m beginning to wonder about that, but he was the better choice, even so.

Don’t doubt it for a second. Remember, Lincoln said many times that the “Negro” would never be the white man’s equal. These things take time.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 25 January 2009 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Martinus - 24 January 2009 07:41 AM

Just my usual rant that Humanists are equated with atheism, that is the association that most limits H’s awakening.

That is sort of like ranting about youth for being young (except that atheism is a choice). Atheism is just a descriptive word, not a philosophy. Humanism is more of a philosophy. You can be both an atheist and humanist, or a humanist with out being atheist.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 January 2009 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09
asanta - 25 January 2009 02:26 AM

That is sort of like ranting about youth for being young (except that atheism is a choice). Atheism is just a descriptive word, not a philosophy. Humanism is more of a philosophy. You can be both an atheist and humanist, or a humanist with out being atheist.

Most respectfully I disagree. They are not different elements of the same thing. One can be an atheist without being a Humanist, and a Humanist without being an atheist.

Just curious, asanta, when you wrote that, how were you defining the terms?

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 25 January 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I agree, asanta.  I think, IF someone is a believer like Spong is, they can be a humanist too.  All too often he says and writes things that sound very much like humanism, except, like there is humanistic Judaism, I would call his philosophy more like Christian humanism and not necessarily Humanism.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 January 2009 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
PLaClair - 25 January 2009 05:39 AM
asanta - 25 January 2009 02:26 AM

Most respectfully I disagree. They are not different elements of the same thing. One can be an atheist without being a Humanist, and a Humanist without being an atheist.

Just curious, asanta, when you wrote that, how were you defining the terms?

I may have not been clear, ATHEIST is just a descriptive word, literally a-theist. I don’t understand what atheism has to do with a persons reluctance to embrace HUMANISM. Otherwise, we are both saying the same thing.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 January 2009 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I didn’t weigh in on this thread because asanta said precisely what I would have said, and did so with precision, accuracy and clarity.  There is a Religious Humanist association, just as there is an Atheist United organzation.  The two terms, atheist and humanist have about as much to do with each other as do the color red, and the odor of cinnamon.  Just because one can buy Red Hots doesn’t mean we must connect the two characteristics.  I know some atheists who are quite far from having a humanist philosophy, and as Mriana pointed out, Bishop Spong is obviously not an atheist, but just as clearly he has a humanist outlook on life.

Occam

Posted: 17 April 2009 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

Hi!  I gather from this thread there is a consensus that one can be a Humanist and not an atheist.  Is that what y’all are saying?

cool smile

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 17 April 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
wesmjohnson - 17 April 2009 11:48 AM

Hi!  I gather from this thread there is a consensus that one can be a Humanist and not an atheist.  Is that what y’all are saying?

cool smile

absolutely! smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2006-02-09

Dear Asanta: 

Thank you for your response.  I must strongly disagree.  To my thinking, experience and Humanist training being a non-theist is a necessary but not sufficient condition for being a Humanist.  Being a Humanist involves understanding and coming to grips with the human condition, our strengths and weaknesses.  Accepting us for who we are and not as we would like ourselves to be.  It further seeks to improve our condition through scientific (naturalistic) means, understandings, and actions.  Yes, there are people who are humanitarian but are not Humanist, the two must not be confused.  The term “Christian Humanist” is an oxymoron as is any other theistic or spiritual modifier.  One can certainly be a scientific Humanist but that is redundant.  One can be a “Religious Humanist” which typifies Humanists who like community - a perfectly reasonable and human emotion and activity.

grin

Signature 

Fairness is Justice

Posted: 17 April 2009 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Your view was echoed by the head of the AHA a few years ago when I had a conversation with him.  He felt that they had a proprietary interest in the word, however, they, unlike the Secular Humanists, accept religious or even Christian Humanists.  I disagreed and said pretty much what Asanta said, that Humanism is a philosophy focused on humane behavior while atheism is a stance believing the lack of existence of a god.  One can be one, the other, both or neither.  However, I reject the necessary connection that some want to impose on the two words and concepts.

Occam

1 of 7