Congress needs scientific schooling
Posted: 28 January 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19

BY SUSANNE B. HAGA. Ph.D

As the more than 50 rookie members of the 11th Congress settle into their offices, hire staff and set their agendas, they face a steep learning curve on many subjects they are likely to be unfamiliar with, ranging from foreign policy to the budget appropriations process.

Many of these subjects will involve science in one form or another –- from scientific evidence in support of a specific policy to decisions influencing the future direction, investment and advancements in the U.S. scientific enterprise. It is estimated that the federal government spent more than $38 billion in 2007 for health-related research and more than $2 billion for energy research and technologies. That’s not up to the level of the latest bailout or stimulus packages, but should be large enough to get the attention of members of Congress.

Read the rest Here

Good idea in my opinion.  Perhaps a course on government, enconomics, and history too.  Hell, have them repeat high school and take the citizenship exam.

[ Edited: 28 January 2009 10:55 AM by OldSquid ]
 Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 28 January 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting OldSquid:

have them repeat high school and take the citizenship exam.

But we can’t do that.  It would be discrimination against the incompetent.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 28 January 2009 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-10-06
Occam - 28 January 2009 12:57 PM

Quoting OldSquid:

have them repeat high school and take the citizenship exam.

But we can’t do that.  It would be discrimination against the incompetent.  LOL

You guys are too funny!  LOL

However, perhaps, these are precisely the sort of people we should be discriminating against running for certain positions. A thought once came to mind, in which we should have an IQ test before allowing anyone to gain certain positions. Understanding that people will always be prone to malicious deeds and still ignorant in many regards, but at least they would be better equip to resolve certain issues that people currently in power are not. A minimal requirement is all I am calling for.

An oversimplification of how things could go sour in a scenario such as stated above. I now point The Simpson’s episode guest staring Steven Hawking, where the “smart” people of Springfield gain mayoral power over the town. Lets just say there wasn’t much reasoning put into their policy methods.

[ edit: to correct misspellings ]

[ Edited: 28 January 2009 09:52 PM by Armando G. ]
 Signature 

Armando G.

Posted: 28 January 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks OldSquid - good stuff. They could at least read “Physics for Future Presidents” by Richard Muller. It covers the basics, it’s an easy read and it’s just one book. Surely they can handle that.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 28 January 2009 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Along with IQ tests, we should also require a minimum level of psychological adjustment, and evidence of strong ethics, preferably humanistic.  Ah, I can dream. LOL

Occam

Posted: 29 January 2009 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

If only we would learn from our bushes, I mean mistakes. Perhaps Yale should require IQ tests and do away with the “let daddy’s kid in” policy.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2008-03-19

Perhaps New Mexico would have not passed this bill keeping Pluto a plant despite scientific evidence to the contrary.

See Here

Signature 

Barry Manilow didn’t write I Write The Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Posted: 30 January 2009 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Yeah, that’s a bit strange but she did vote yes for medical marijuana legalization. Voting record.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2009 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

perhaps then we would not be the only industrialized western nation that still doesn’t believe in evolution.