2 of 2
A Humanist Vision of the 2nd Depression
Posted: 31 January 2009 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Martinus - 31 January 2009 06:14 PM
VYAZMA - 31 January 2009 06:07 PM

Yes but Martinus,most of these nations manufacture their own arms.The big nations.They either are currently producing their own arms,or can readily adapt industry to create their own weapons.As for raw materials,usually enough are allied or subjugating,other nations to procure the necessary materials,ie:steel,chemicals,metals,petroleum etc..China,Russia,US,Europe,India are already tooled up to produce copiuos amounts of weaponry.
When we introduce Nukes into this discussion,then it becomes really crazy.But no less crazy than what people would have lamented over if they could have forseen the horrors of WWII.It’s all a little bit cyclical,and definitely relative to the current technological status.
Nukes for example are looked upon as a world ender.And they could be.But most likely their usage would result in a cataclysm that we couldn’t imagine.Again,just like all the thinkers and pundits,couldn’t have imagined the effects of WWII.

If you can’t sell the arms at a profit, then it’s dead loss to your economy, raw materials or not, monuments to your stupidity and enmity, absent war of course.

Others will say arms wring “benefits” just to possess them, though. Regardless, a very expensive gamble, it would be, to keep building arms if 75% of the world was united against you via the UN and initiating sanctions. I fully expect that this will indeed occur within twenty years, Depressions are great at these shakeouts.

WWII was shocking, but so was the Depression, maybe more so to western societies. We didn’t win the Depression…well, maybe the Germans did, .. but they kept building weapons and…

I guess I’m just envisioning a historical scenario where profits are not the issue.When nations need to aquire arms or raw materials,these are done by conquest or treaties.The Japanese takeover of Indochina,The German takeover of the Caucaus Region.These were done to insure a steady flow of raw materials to wage war.
The UN won’t matter when one or more nations decide to fight for what they believe is right.Witness the Versailles Treaty.The UN has very little control over Large countries.And is probably nothing more than a modern day enforcer of Aggressor Nation Colonialism.As for US your neighbors to the South,we expend the vast majority of our treasure on keeping our Military Fat.I’m sure other large nations are aware of this,and have contigency plans,if not full-blown militaries themselves.
A very expensive gamble indeed!That’s why we don’t have Socialized Healthcare.That’s why,the richest,most advanced nation on the planet has starving people,and an appaling education system,and more or less disgusting Social Malaise in general,based on the context of our Nations wealth.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 31 January 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Martinus - 31 January 2009 03:44 PM
Mriana - 31 January 2009 01:08 PM

Actually, he is being put upon to chose a church.  Not sure if that is of his chosing or not.  If not, let’s face it, Martinus, he is religious, he is just accepting of those who do not believe.

He’s just doing as the Romans do, he has the sensibility of a Humanist, and true Humanists do not preclude religious people from their ranks, and if he’s both that’s fine with me. He’s bireligious, until proven otherwise. 

I think he’s under stronger scrutiny for his upcoming choice of dog..wink

Don’t get me wrong, if he is a Christian Humanist, I don’t have an issue.  The thing is, he as humanistic values because of his mother.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 31 January 2009 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20
Mriana - 31 January 2009 07:11 PM

Don’t get me wrong, if he is a Christian Humanist, I don’t have an issue.  The thing is, he as humanistic values because of his mother.

So much of true Humanism hinges on the role and contributions of women, which we all know is more than 50% in Human affairs, that much of my impatience lies with the obnoxious roadblocks such as militarism games of the little boys that have always plagued our societies. Eliminating the influence of testosterone within our species governance has to be the most obvious priority, so much keeps getting ripped off or torn down because of it.

OTOH, it is incumbent for all good women to come to the aid of the species. And soon. If you are overdue in getting here, make up for lost time, as it’s all hands on deck and we’ll feel sorry for each other when the battle is done.

[ Edited: 23 February 2009 07:14 PM by Martinus ]
 Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 31 January 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2007-05-20
VYAZMA - 31 January 2009 06:37 PM

The UN won’t matter when one or more nations decide to fight for what they believe is right.Witness the Versailles Treaty.The UN has very little control over Large countries.And is probably nothing more than a modern day enforcer of Aggressor Nation Colonialism.As for US your neighbors to the South,we expend the vast majority of our treasure on keeping our Military Fat.I’m sure other large nations are aware of this,and have contigency plans,if not full-blown militaries themselves.
A very expensive gamble indeed!That’s why we don’t have Socialized Healthcare.That’s why,the richest,most advanced nation on the planet has starving people,and an appaling education system,and more or less disgusting Social Malaise in general,based on the context of our Nations wealth.

What I’m seeing here, Vy, is your lack of belief in the UN, which is the endemic American position.  There is tacit acceptance of that, by you, discernable in your comments.

The US has indeed paid for the Pentagon instead of medical care. That’s what rich people want for global bullying on behalf of their business interests. Not blow huge amounts of money on a fat epidemic. Some truth there too, but that’s more recent..

It’s why we must get rid of the military spending haemorraging and allow the UN to collectively guarantee our security within our Cantons. It is a simple police system that works for every city, and can for the planet. Our only hope, we can’t do a nuclear war as a final lesson in this.

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 31 January 2009 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Martinus - 31 January 2009 09:57 PM
Mriana - 31 January 2009 07:11 PM

So much of true Humanism hinges on the role and contributions of women, which we all know is more than 50% in Human affairs, that much of my impatience lies with the obnoxious roadblocks such as militarism games of the little boys that have always plagues our societies. Eliminating the influence of testosterone within our species governance has to be the most obvious priority, so much keeps getting ripped off or torn down because of it. See my future news item on this at http://man.org/woofers-used-for-masturbation/ that spoofs that problem.

OTOH, it is incumbent for all good women to come to the aid of the species. And soon. If you are overdue in getting here, make up for lost time, as it’s all hands on deck and we’ll feel sorry for each other when the battle is done.

Women generally know best.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 February 2009 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
Martinus - 31 January 2009 10:07 PM
VYAZMA - 31 January 2009 06:37 PM

What I’m seeing here, Vy, is your lack of belief in the UN, which is the endemic American position.  There is tacit acceptance of that, by you, discernable in your comments.

The US has indeed paid for the Pentagon instead of medical care. That’s what rich people want for global bullying on behalf of their business interests. Not blow huge amounts of money on a fat epidemic. Some truth there too, but that’s more recent..

It’s why we must get rid of the military spending haemorraging and allow the UN to collectively guarantee our security within our Cantons. It is a simple police system that works for every city, and can for the planet. Our only hope, we can’t do a nuclear war as a final lesson in this.

The only diference here is that you are dwelling on future hopes,and I’m dwelling on past practices.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 23 February 2009 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-05-20

“The only diference here is that you are dwelling on future hopes,and I’m dwelling on past practices.”

Yes, but I think you might agree that the times they are a’changing?

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

2 of 2