2 of 2
discrimination
Posted: 26 March 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
rafaelapolinario - 25 March 2009 10:08 PM

Its more about a choice and I think that every one is entitled to have their own loads of beliefs.

Well, I guess so. As long as you don’t go giving money to the ignorant fools in Vatican so that they can let people in Africa know that condoms won’t prevent them from contracting HIV, I promise not to push my beliefs down your throat.

Posted: 26 March 2009 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  323
Joined  2009-02-18

As much as it pains me to see folks giving their money to unworthy causes, that is ultimately their choice, and I’m glad they have a choice.

It’s the inherent logical contradictions in almost all religious dogma that keeps me away. I certainly understand the warm and cozy feeling that a higher power is looking out for you and yours, but there is absolutely no proof of that.

I’m not militant about my beliefs, and most religious people I know aren’t that way either. They take a live-and-let-live attitude, although most have migrated to non-denominational churches in the past few years. I don’t participate in any of their religious activities and I am not expected to—they fully understand that.

I think if I had a big sign at work that said ‘ATHEIST HERE!’ certain people would shun me and and I might have a bit harder time of it, but I’m not sure.

I respect people’s right to believe what they will, even if I don’t respect those beliefs. It’s actions that worry me.

Posted: 26 March 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
omnibus09 - 26 March 2009 09:37 AM

It’s actions that worry me.

Right, like supporting Vatican. If you give one tenth of your income to the church, say $10,000, you just paid for the tires of Pope’s airplane, so that he can fly to Africa to spread his nonsense about AIDS.

Posted: 26 March 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-03-26

Only a few close friends that I told have had the balls to say anything to me about it, and used to have a rather annoying habit of trying to work ‘how wonderful Jesus is’ into daily conversation. Most of us don’t talk anymore (no big loss).

I told my parents around three years ago, and, when my mom isn’t trying to forget that it ever happened, she’s doing her best to subtly get me to go to church. My grandparents don’t know, and never will if I can help it, but the rest of my family just conveniently ignores what they don’t like. It’s all fine now, and most of the people I interact with daily don’t know about my non-belief, but the first few weeks after I told them, you’d have thought I’d done something really horrible…

Posted: 26 March 2009 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  323
Joined  2009-02-18

I don’t go to ‘church’ as such, but I do occasionally attend a church sponsored function, especially if the food is good. 

While there, I am treated pretty well in most cases. Those that are scared of me just don’t talk to me.

Posted: 26 March 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-03-26
omnibus09 - 26 March 2009 10:56 AM

I don’t go to ‘church’ as such, but I do occasionally attend a church sponsored function, especially if the food is good. 

While there, I am treated pretty well in most cases. Those that are scared of me just don’t talk to me.

Speaking as a broke college kid who still hasn’t eaten breakfast (it’s after 13:00 here), free food is worth it!

2 of 2

‹‹ I like the comic      Humanist High Horse ››