All paths are equally valid. Now shut up and sing "Kumbaya," dammit! 1
Total Votes: 7
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Yes, Even SOME Hindus Are Religious Lunatics
Posted: 04 February 2009 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

I’ve always considered the Hindus to be the endearing exception to my “all religions are dangerous to others” rule. I mean, how dangerous can a religion be when they have a god who has an elephant head? Apparently I was mistaken about our Hindu brethren and sistren: SOME of them are as nuts as the rest. I look at the lunatics of every major religion, and somehow the fact that my pagan Celtic ancestors went in for the odd bit of headhunting and human sacrifice seems almost benign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/4447238/Hindu-extremists-will-attack-Valentines-Day-couples.html

Militants belonging to a group called Sri Ram Sena, who claim to be custodians of Indian culture, said Valentine’s Day is un-Indian.

The threat comes days after the group’s activists stormed a bar in the south western city of Mangalore, dragging out and beating women they accused of acting obscenely and “going astray”.

The attack led to fears an extremist “Hindu Taliban” was on the rise in India.

Gangadhar Kulkarni, an activist in the group, which is a radical wing of the Hindu nationalist movement, said: “If people celebrate the day despite our warning, then we will definitely attack them.”

“Valentine’s Day is definitely not Indian culture. We will not allow celebration of that day in any form,” added Pramod Mutalik, the group’s founder.

[ Edited: 04 February 2009 01:14 PM by steveg144 ]
 Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 February 2009 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, one should avoid tarring an entire religion with the brush of the most reactionary, but yes, there is a strong conservative Hindu movement in India. In large measure they are the force behind the BJP, which is one of the most powerful political parties there.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 February 2009 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

The title of this thread and this statement (“Apparently I was mistaken about our Hindu brethren and sistren: they’re as nuts as the rest.”), as written, are offensive on the grounds to which Doug alluded.

[ Edited: 04 February 2009 05:40 AM by PLaClair ]
 Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 04 February 2009 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
PLaClair - 04 February 2009 05:37 AM

The title of this thread and this statement (“Apparently I was mistaken about our Hindu brethren and sistren: they’re as nuts as the rest.”), as written, are offensive on the grounds to which Doug alluded.

Changed to “SOME” to avoid offending any delicate sensibilities.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 04 February 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’d have rather you offended delicate sensibilities by adding the choice, “All are equally destructive and insane.”  Then I could have voted with no problem.

Occam

Posted: 04 February 2009 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
Occam - 04 February 2009 10:51 AM

I’d have rather you offended delicate sensibilities by adding the choice, “All are equally destructive and insane.”  Then I could have voted with no problem.

Occam

Darn it, I didn’t even think of that as an option. And it’s so obvious. And certainly the one I would vote for! wink
Thanks, Occam; let me see if I can edit that at this point.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 04 February 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
steveg144 - 04 February 2009 01:14 PM
Occam - 04 February 2009 10:51 AM

Occam

Darn it, I didn’t even think of that as an option. And it’s so obvious. And certainly the one I would vote for! wink
Thanks, Occam; let me see if I can edit that at this point.

Nope, apparently I can edit my text, but not the poll. Probably a good safety measure now that I think of it, otherwise
I could change the poll choices to read any kind of evil verbiage I could cook up. wink Anyway, you can always vote for
“all paths are equally valid,” which is probably just another way of saying “all are equally destructive and insane.  :-D

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 05 February 2009 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24

I said Islam simply because it’s the first religion I’ve known in my lifetime that engenders suicide and deliberate mass civilian killings as something good, moral, in the name of their god and moreover few moderates of the same religion seem willing to absolutely decry their actions.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 05 February 2009 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Kyuuketsuki UK - 05 February 2009 04:34 AM

I said Islam simply because it’s the first religion I’ve known in my lifetime that engenders suicide and deliberate mass civilian killings as something good, moral, in the name of their god and moreover few moderates of the same religion seem willing to absolutely decry their actions.

Well, but to be fair, look at the history of Christianity from the fall of Rome through to early modernity; in particular in its dealings with Islam and Judaism.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 February 2009 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

It seems to me that any belief system that expects its adherents to follow a set doctrine without question is fertile ground for fanaticism. Some have made the point on here before that even atheists and humanists are not immune to this as history can bear witness to. I think everyone, religious and non believers need to constantly question what we are doing and ask is this reasonable. I can’t in good conscious vote for one religion as being the worst. There are fanatics among each one. Ranking them does nothing to help us understand the problem and in some ways only contributes to the” we’re better than them” mentality that fuels fanaticism.

I vote “Present”

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 February 2009 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
macgyver - 05 February 2009 07:52 AM

It seems to me that any belief system that expects its adherents to follow a set doctrine without question is fertile ground for fanaticism. Some have made the point on here before that even atheists and humanists are not immune to this as history can bear witness to.

Good point. One cannot help but think of those devotees of “Reason” who dragged the nuns and priests out of the abbeys and nunneries and fed them
into the maw of Madame Guillotine during The Terror. Reason is quite capable of breeding fanatics every bit as mad as those of the various religions,
once “reasonable” people forget the first principle of Reason: the willingness to admit that possibly, just possibly, one might be wrong. One doesn’t
behead aristos or crash planes into buildings or burn people at the stake if one’s belief in one’s actions is conditional. And let’s face it: if one is reasonable
then one’s beliefs are always conditional.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 05 February 2009 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-08-09
steveg144 - 05 February 2009 09:02 AM
macgyver - 05 February 2009 07:52 AM

It seems to me that any belief system that expects its adherents to follow a set doctrine without question is fertile ground for fanaticism. Some have made the point on here before that even atheists and humanists are not immune to this as history can bear witness to.

Good point. One cannot help but think of those devotees of “Reason” who dragged the nuns and priests out of the abbeys and nunneries and fed them
into the maw of Madame Guillotine during The Terror. Reason is quite capable of breeding fanatics every bit as mad as those of the various religions,
once “reasonable” people forget the first principle of Reason: the willingness to admit that possibly, just possibly, one might be wrong. One doesn’t
behead aristos or crash planes into buildings or burn people at the stake if one’s belief in one’s actions is conditional. And let’s face it: if one is reasonable
then one’s beliefs are always conditional.

That’s true, but it’s more than that. Sometimes through the use of reason we can draw a reasonable conclusion but then allow ourselves to become obsessed with it. The obsession can then distort the picture, rendering us unreasonable and even irrational. This can also cause us to violate our own principles.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 05 February 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

You are right. There is a single word that, if taken to heart, would end all fanaticism and most violence and war. Its “Humility”. If everyone would simply accept even on the smallest scale that their beliefs could be wrong then there would be little left to motivate the fanatic tendencies we all possess.

I think the one thing that separates reason from religion is that it at least starts with the premise that all thing are open to question. Many reasonable people forget that at some point or other, but most religions seem to start from the opposite point and encourage their followers not to question, which opens the door to fanaticism.

I was originally raised Catholic ( but it didn’t take LOL ). I remember being taught in Sunday school that humility was a virtue. I find it ironic that humility is considered a virtue by this religion in all things except when it comes to ones conviction about the existence of god. In that one particular instance arrogance, the complete expulsion of doubt, seems to be the preferred trait.

When people forgo humility and allow their passion to take over, whether its a religious lot or non-believers, then bad things will happen.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 05 February 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
macgyver - 05 February 2009 11:52 AM

I was originally raised Catholic ( but it didn’t take LOL ). I remember being taught in Sunday school that humility was a virtue. I find it ironic that humility is considered a virtue by this religion in all things except when it comes to ones conviction about the existence of god.

Not to mention the awe-inspiring lack of humility implicit in the idea that the God of the whoooooole universe, with all that God stuff
he has to take care of, really gives a crap about the prayers of Coach McPervy and his team over at State Central H.S.  for The Lorrrrrrrddddd
to give them victory in the big game on Saturday. The notion that God would care one whit about the quotidian needs and wants of an
individual human reeks of arrogance on a breathtaking scale.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 05 February 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-08-09

I can’t control anyone else’s behavior but I can control my own. So I was trying to think of examples where I let my thoughts turn into an obsession or otherwise become extreme or irrational. Sometimes it happens in politics. Issues are drawn in black and white, so that sometimes I overlook the shortcomings in my political allies. I think I’m pretty good at avoiding this sort of thing, as these things go, but we’re all subject to it. In the field of religion, sometimes I find myself rolling my eyes without really listening to the other person; then I realize that I should listen through to the end before responding. It’s a constant battle for all of us, I think.

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2009 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-02-13

It is indeed a sad commentary.  But this is definitely not what hindu philosophy teaches.  These religious fanatic groups have come up as a nemesis to the islam fanatism.  However, in due course, these groups seem to have unconsciously developed a liking for what they stood against.  However, the silver lining is that vast majority of Indian population has unanimously condemned these events, though such ugly events do occur now and then, latest event being the ‘moral policing’ against ‘pub culture’.  However, it is encouraging to know that everyone, cutting across religious and party lines has condemned this event.  Prominent among them is Mrs Renuka Choudhari, a Cabinet Minister, who went to the extent of declaring that ‘talibanization’ of Indian culture would not be allowed.