3 of 4
Science and children
Posted: 19 October 2009 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe it’s not the IQ test I am afraid of: more shocking for me would be to find out that playing piano actually does improve their IQ, which I assume would indicate that parents can influence their children’s character. I guess it really depends on how afraid I am that I (or rather the scientists that I respect) could be proven wrong. I am also not sure how accurate this study will be. (Am I just going to waste my time?) From what I know they would have to keep a track of my kids’ IQ until their adulthood—which I doubt they will—as the impact of playing an instrument on their intelligence (if any) would most likely be temporary.

Posted: 19 October 2009 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Well, we don’t need to resurrect the IQ debate, but I would say that even if palying piano increased their score, it would only indicate it increases their IQ scote, not their intelligence, so I’m not sure what portentious implications it would really have.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 20 October 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Well, there is a value to having a high IQ score, even if it’s innacurate.  In the ‘60s I was considering changing jobs, and I happened to learn that the company I wanted to work for sent all new employees to a psychological testing firm.  I applied at eight companies where I didn’t want to work, and five of them gave all applicants standardized IQ tests.  After the tests I made notes of the words I was unfamiliar with then looked them up, and thought about the math problems as I drove home.  When I was sent to the psychological testing company they gave me the short test, which I had taken three times before, and which I finished three minutes early.  After the clerk checked it she talked with the psychologist who asked if I’d mind taking another.  That longer one I had only taken twice before.

After I’d been at my new company a few months, an old manager in an adjacent department said something like, “Even though your IQ is in the top one percent of Fortune 500 company CEOs you won’t get any special treatment from me.”  Apparently this fairytale spread throughout the company and it gave me much more respect and freedom to argue for the next twenty-five years.  I probably cheated, but I sure enjoyed the benefits I got from the make-believe IQ. LOL

Occam  
Wordpad

Posted: 26 October 2009 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
George - 19 February 2009 07:28 AM

If you have other ideas how to make science fun for kids, let me know.

What?  No mention of Isaac Newton in the whole thread.  LOL

Try this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24161/24161-h/24161-h.htm

Now a curious thing about that story is that it was published in 1959.

Then there is this:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2009-10-09-nasa-moon-probe_N.htm

Read the story and you will see how they are related, 50 years apart.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 26 April 2010 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I just thought of a game I think could be fun to play with kids: disproving astrology! In Canada (and I imagine also in the States) you can find out from the sticker on the car’s license plate the month the owner was born. Come up with a few categories, e.g., colour of the car, priced over or below $40,000, domestic or foreign, etc., and look for correlations.

What do you think?

Posted: 26 April 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
George - 26 April 2010 09:23 AM

I just thought of a game I think could be fun to play with kids: disproving astrology! In Canada (and I imagine also in the States) you can find out from the sticker on the car’s license plate the month the owner was born. Come up with a few categories, e.g., colour of the car, priced over or below $40,000, domestic or foreign, etc., and look for correlations.

What do you think?

I only buy used cars.  The type and condition of the car matter, the color is irrelevant.  I have ended up with two red cars but I would never buy a new car that color. 

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 26 April 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
psikeyhackr - 26 April 2010 09:48 AM
George - 26 April 2010 09:23 AM

What do you think?

I only buy used cars.  The type and condition of the car matter, the color is irrelevant.  I have ended up with two red cars but I would never buy a new car that color. 

psik

I guess people like you would have no impact on the outcome since they don’t choose the colour. I am also thinking that I would have to probably avoid recording atypical colours, yellow for example, to avoid getting a false positive due to small numbers.

Posted: 26 April 2010 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

It could work in Canada, but in the U.S., at least in California, the renewal sticker is based on the month the car was first registered and sold.  So, the only astrological significance one could test would be whether or not that car fit its sign.  My car, for example, is a Pisces, and since my aunt was the French-Canadian version of a kvetch and also a Pisces, I’d say my car upholds its astrological description.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 14 May 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

So my boy picked out sea monkeys at Target in the toy section. I remember these as a kid. I was very disappointed when they did not look like little monkeys.  LOL  I still thought they were very neat as a little kid. We’re putting the potions in the water and he’s following the instructions. He can’t wait for them to hatch. A great opportunity to learn about the “real” creatures these little things are - little brine shrimp.

algaduart[7].jpg

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 June 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20

[quote author=“George” date=“1235082718]

We did find one that looked like the top of a spirally-cone seashell, but the ground was frozen and we were unable to dig it out. We marked it in a map we made, and plan to go back as soon as the weather warms up.

Have you got it yet?

Stephen

Posted: 03 June 2010 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

We went back last summer, but we couldn’t get it out. But my boys now have quite the fossil collection and the younger one often sleeps with his favourite fossil—kids are funny that way.  grin

Posted: 03 June 2010 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 03 June 2010 06:32 AM

We went back last summer, but we couldn’t get it out. But my boys now have quite the fossil collection and the younger one often sleeps with his favourite fossil—kids are funny that way.  grin

Wow! I still have my younger son’s mineral collection from about 20 years ago. He found some nice specimens, I just can’t bear to throw them away!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 June 2010 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

My kids also collect minerals. I remember when they were younger they would often find a piece of a coloured glass believing it must be the most precious mineral under the sun. When I told them it wasn’t a rock but a glass they were always very disappointed (and wouldn’t let go of it) and so they decided to start a collection of, well, pieces of broken glass. Sometimes I think they just like to collect collections.  grin

Posted: 03 June 2010 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

George I swear they do love having “collections of anything.”  smile

When my boy was small (3 or so) he called his matchbox cars his car-lection, and his rocks his rock-lection. I love the words they make up by mistake. But boys love collecting rocks, it seems. It’s cute. My boy would collect shiny gravel from grandma’s driveway at each visit.

As for the sea monkeys I posted about above, they lasted a little less than two weeks. My kid thought that if they liked one sprinkle of food, they’d REALLY like it if he dumped the entire package of food in for “a feast.” Poor little brine shrimp. At least I can tell by this, that he is not ready for a goldfish… although he cried and felt badly when the sea monkeys died. I think he’s learned his lesson.

I remember at about 6 having a goldfish in a bowl. I thought that if I liked nice hot bath water, so would the goldfish. Poor thing.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 03 June 2010 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Poor shrimp, poor goldfish. Oh well…  grin

3 of 4

‹‹ Hubble-- You Decide      Socks the cat dies ››