4 of 4
Science and children
Posted: 03 June 2010 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

In my half-assed research on IQ testing, I’ve found that it has very little to no theory behind it, along with an interesting tie to the eugenics movement. I think this is important for people who get “average” or “below-average” scores to know about. It’s also good for those that score in the higher range to keep their egos in check. Here’s a video on all this: http://fora.tv/2008/04/16/Stephen_Murdoch_Discusses_IQ

It’s one thing if the scores can affect our opportunities. If we can get an opportunity that we wouldn’t have otherwise, then maybe getting tested isn’t that bad. I would just be careful with how I let the results affect my self-image.

Posted: 03 June 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

The standard IQ test correlates very well with academic success. That is, that’s the ability it tests for.  As I recall from an article many, many years ago, a psychologist from USC gave a wide variety of people an equally wide variety of questions and physical tests.  He then used factor analysis to separate the various characteristics.  He claimed that there were at least (as I recall) 14 different and distinct facets of intelligence.  And I’ve certainly seen that in my dealings with people.  Someone can be very skilled in one area and a complete klutz in another.  For example, some of the most competent lab chemists I’ve known had terrible interpersonal skills.

Occam

Posted: 03 June 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I find all the testing to be a mystery. My kid just had his IQ testing done by the school psychologist, along with some academic testing. IQ came back at 117 with a note “would have been better if he hadn’t kept stopping the test to draw Pokemon!”  LOL I’m taking the score results with a grain of salt. I already know he’s a bright kid. I’m not sharing the results with him, just telling him, “the tests showed you are very bright.”

I am not sure how I feel about IQ testing, but other testing showed he was bored in his 3rd grade classroom. If you said “What is 18 plus 25?” he says “I donno” and doodles on his desk. If you say “Hey, 18 people were on a train, and then a bus broke down, and 25 people from the bus had to get on the train. How many people were on the train?” He perks up and says “Oh oh! I know!”

A lot of this testing I don’t think I agree with. It showed him “functioning normally and above average” in areas I know he has trouble with. And in other areas I thought he was doing well in, it showed (relative) deficiencies.

My verdict? Mother knows best. I can use these tests to supplement what I already know, but I still know my child better than any test. I know what areas he needs help in and what areas he is gifted in.  smile

However, even though mother knows best, the school didn’t take my word for it and did their own assessment. Which I totally understand, as parents go into schools demanding all sorts of things.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

4 of 4

‹‹ Hubble-- You Decide      Socks the cat dies ››