3 of 3
Cosmology
Posted: 15 October 2007 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29
godblessgeorgecarlin - 15 October 2007 03:22 AM

Anyone know offhand what kind of insights we’ll get into some of our current theories when that thing gets turned on?

They have been talking about the possibility of the LHC creating (don’t ask me how) a black hole and “sucking in” the whole city of Geneva. It’s the 21st century version of the Tower of Babel. Don’t turn it on!! grrr  LOL

[ Edited: 15 October 2007 11:12 AM by George ]

Posted: 15 October 2007 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2007-10-09

I heard about that!  And I heard about the possibility of a “strangelet” occurring, which makes everything it touches a strangelet thus turning earth into nothing but strangelets.  I saw that on a Horizon episode called “End Day” where they explored end-of-the-world scenarios.  It was pretty neat watching the world get sucked into strangeness, especially because they showed what it would look like on the earth as it was happening!  I don’t know how much it had to do with actual physics though.

Anyway, at the end of that scenario a physicist came on and said that there was near nil possibility of anything like that happening.  Black holes that the accelerator produces are supposed to evaporate almost instantaneously, right?

Posted: 15 October 2007 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29
godblessgeorgecarlin - 15 October 2007 01:42 PM

Black holes that the accelerator produces are supposed to evaporate almost instantaneously, right?

Well, if you get a rotating non-zero angular-momentum black hole…........just kidding. LOL I have no idea!

3 of 3

‹‹ Human Evolution      Evolution ››