1 of 2
Slice of Sci-Fi— maybe email campaign?
Posted: 05 April 2006 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2006-02-07

Hi.  If you don’t listen to the Slice of Sci-Fi podcast, then feel free to ignore this.

However, if you do—well then you probably know that in their most recent episode, episode #51, they had an interview with one of the ghost hunters from the Sci-Fi channel show Ghost Hunters.

IMHO, the paranormal and supernatural do not qualify as science fiction.  I hereby vaguely ask for any other listeners of SoSF to respond to Sam’s open letter
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/archives/open_letter_to_slice_of_scifi_fans.html

or to call their voice mail number (avaiable on the sliceofscifi main page) and let them know what you think about it.

Yes, I realize someone else has already responded to the open letter with "well, Ghost Hunters IS [sf] . . ."  I respectfully disagree.  Ghost Hunters is wish fullfillment that gets away with what it does by pretending to be something it ain’t (scientific) and by promising people what they dearly crave (entertainment, spooky spookies, and, oh yeah, that good ol’ promise of Life After Death).  IMHO, it does [i:68096e7582]not[/i:68096e7582] belong on a show about Science Fiction.

Signature 

Furry cows moo and decompress.

Posted: 05 April 2006 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07

Slice of Sci-Fi— maybe email campaign?

Hi.  If you don’t listen to the Slice of Sci-Fi podcast, then feel free to ignore this.

However, if you do—well then you probably know that in their most recent episode, episode #51, they had an interview with one of the ghost hunters from the Sci-Fi channel show Ghost Hunters.

IMHO, the paranormal and supernatural do not qualify as science fiction.  I hereby vaguely ask for any other listeners of SoSF to respond to Sam’s open letter

or to call their voice mail number (avaiable on the sliceofscifi main page) and let them know what you think about it.

Yes, I realize someone else has already responded to the open letter with “well, Ghost Hunters IS [sf] . . .”  I respectfully disagree.  Ghost Hunters is wish fullfillment that gets away with what it does by pretending to be something it ain’t (scientific) and by promising people what they dearly crave (entertainment, spooky spookies, and, oh yeah, that good ol’ promise of Life After Death).  IMHO, it does not belong on a show about Science Fiction.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2006 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

*interesting*

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 10 April 2006 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

I have never been able to sit through an entire episode of “Ghost Hunters”.  Long before the half-way mark, I am either bored out of my skull or I am shaking my head and saying, “These people are running around playing Ghostbusters, jumping at their own shadows and treating every little bump in their dorky little EMF detectors like a Major Scientific Breakthrough.  People can’t take this seriously.”

In fact, I long ago decided it was intended to be a parody, like “High Spirits” on BBC America.  Do you mean people actually DO believe this rot?

Posted: 10 April 2006 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-02-07

[quote author=“advocatus”]
Do you mean people actually DO believe this rot?

Oh yes.

On the Slice of Sci-Fi episode in question, one person, a school teacher, even said that surely such-and-such thermographic “evidence” in such-and-such episode of Ghost Hunters had to be incontrovertible proof of paranormal activity.

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2006 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

At the least Sci-Fi has the word “fiction” in it.  But on the so-called “Discovery” channel, they have all those stupid programs about “hauntings” and other paranormal topics.

Posted: 25 April 2006 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

DC

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 18 September 2006 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-09-18

I personally like Ghost Hunters because at least they do use science in the show.

Posted: 09 February 2007 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-02-08

I’ve never seen Ghost Hunters (it’s not easily available in the UK), but have seen many of the similar types of haunting investigation programmes that are at large;Most Haunted,Haunted Homes etc.

To me they are just entertainment. They tap into the natural curiosity of the viewers desire to see the forbidden things of a very morbid and quite tabboo subject; Death.

I am part of a paranormal investigation team. I attempt to use many verifiable scientific processes to analyse a specific type of alleged haunting, but am aware that I’m attempting to examine something that is hitherto unquantifiable and immeasurable. Therefore I would honestly say that there is no scientific basis to be claimed in the investigation of ghosts - only a scientific measurement of what the alleged activity may have on the environment.

Example: it is alleged that ghostly manifestations can produce a change in temperature? We can therefore only measure temperature and then watch as people would claim that this is ‘evidence’. We can then offer mundane explanations as to the reason for the thermal change, but cannot attribute it to a ghostly phenomenon unless we can measure the alleged process by which the ghost changed the heat variable.

I prefer to spend my time viewing the human aspect of such situations and examining how a simple change in the environment can produce a great degree of human responses in a witness that would normally be considered quite rational…

Belief can affect perception and the individuals sense of reality! I’m often standing quite calmly as people around me are screaming at the sound of a gas valve hissing in a dark and gloomy cellar.  LOL

Posted: 17 February 2007 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21

I don’t know if you all saw that story, but it shows why programs like Ghostbusters are irresponsible, in my opinion.

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 19 February 2007 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

True, they give people a false idea of what science is.  Viewers see these guys with all this “scientific” equipment, acting as if they are making a real “scientific” investigations (and these guys actually do think{/i] that’s what they’re doing), and they jump to the conclusion that “science” endorses the idea of ghosts.

But movies do the same thing.  You have to remember this is called the Science FICTION channel for a good reason.  Too bad we can’t require them to include a disclaimer on the program which reminds their viewers of that, too! smile

Posted: 19 February 2007 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I can’t stomach the fantasy shows that try to have a veneer of truth so I never even turned on Ghost Hunters.  I could accept and occasionally enjoy things like Samantha and Charmed because they were obviously farces. 

Science-Fiction must have the limitations that a) there is some way of extrapolating from present scientific knowledge to the story’s premise, no matter how tenuous, and b) not be at odds with present scientific knowledge. 

Occam

Posted: 21 February 2007 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

You ought to try “Sci-fi Channel Investigates” (assuming they ever film any more episodes or re-run them).  It’s similar in concept, with a team of four diverse “investigators”, but I found it actually entertaining the way they bend over backwards to allow that a given phenomenon might be supernatural.  The episode I saw on contacting the dead was hilarious!  The reason I don’t watch Ghost Hunters is that, having seen a few episodes, it does not even qualify as entertainment for me.  It’s just boring!

Posted: 21 February 2007 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

Speaking of entertainment, there are two new admittedly fictional shows on the Sci-fi channel—“The Dresden Files” and “Special Unit 2”.  Anybody seen them?

I thought the basic idea for “The Dresden Files” was okay, but the storyline on the first episode I saw just didn’t make sense.  This guy apparently advertises himself in the newspaper as a “wizard”, but when a small boy tries to hire him to get a monster out of his closet, he tells the kid that monsters don’t exist!

“Special Unit 2” is basically a cheap copy of “Men in Black”, but without the humor.  I mean, they try to be funny, but don’t quite hit the mark to me.  I hate to make sexist comments like this, but the only thing worth watching is the girl, who is hot!

Posted: 28 February 2007 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

I suppose I should clarify one thing here.  The reason I cut Ghost Hunters so much slack is that the program never presents them as real scientists.  The two guys that founded the group are PLUMBERS, for goodness sakes!  The opening credits of every episode show them converting a Roto-rooter van into their “mobile command post”!  For this reason, I remain optimistic that perceptive people watching this show will, maybe not at first, but eventually come to realize just how flimsy the evidence for ghosts is.

I mean, one episode had them spending a weekend at a notorious abandoned sanitarium, where hundreds of people had died of tuberculosis back in the 50s.  They were expecting to see all kinds of ghostly phenonema, but all they came up with on camera was a shot of some vague form moving across the far end of a corridor.  Judging just by the way it hopped, it seemed like a small wild animal (maybe a rabbit) to me, but it was too far away and too dark to tell what it was.  Of course, they claimed to see “shadow people” all over the place, but according to their own rules, they can only count the things that they actually get on tape.  I think they managed to record an “electronic voice phenonemon” (which just sounded like noise on the tape recorder to me).

As I’ve said, I think the various paranormal pseudo-documentaries on the so-called “Discovery” channel are a LOT worse, because they “re-enact” hauntings using actors and special effects.  This means the viewer has no way to judge the evidence for himself, and may be easily led into accepting the account at face value..

Posted: 06 March 2007 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

[quote author=“advocatus”]
As I’ve said, I think the various paranormal pseudo-documentaries on the so-called “Discovery” channel are a LOT worse, because they “re-enact” hauntings using actors and special effects.  This means the viewer has no way to judge the evidence for himself, and may be easily led into accepting the account at face value..

I loved Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction? Hosted by Jonathan Frakes (and James Brolin before him?).  The 5 or 6 vignettes usually dealt with the paranormal and viewers would have to determine whether the stories were “fact” or “fiction”. What I always kept in mind was the disclaimer (or what I felt was a disclaimer): “inspired by actual events.”  The word “inspired” was key. For me it suggested that while some basic elements of the events may have been true, perhaps certain liberties were taken to give the events a supernatural effect.

Many of the stories were taken from an anthology of strange stories. Can’t remember the name of it, or the author, though.

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

1 of 2

About the "New Age"... ››