Blasphemy Day International!
Posted: 22 February 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-22

The recent assaults on free speech and the growing encroachment on Western values by Islamic radicalism are of such deep concern to me that I think it’s become necessary to push back against this tide of multiculturalism and political correctness, of unswerving respect and apologetic acceptance of the intolerant, oppressive views of others. The Western world is becoming tolerant of intolerance, and this cannot stand.

I’m proposing that we set a new “holiday” up: Blasphemy Day, for September 30th, the day the Jyllands-Posten comics were published.

The purpose of this day is to raise consciousness, to normalize/desensitize the public to blasphemous thought, to stand up for free speech in general and to demand a right to express criticism of religion without fear of violence, retaliation, and censorship. Events could include posting posters or flyers that would be perceived as blasphemous, having public blasphemy events like out-door “blasphemy challenges” that offer prizes for denying the holy spirit, etc.

I’ve started up a facebook page, but given their penchant for censorship, I’d like to eventually get this hosted independently. As the description there states, “It is the obligation of the world’s nations to safeguard dissent and the dissenters, not to side with the brutal interests of thugs who demand “respect” for their beliefs (i.e., immunity to being criticized or mocked or they threaten violence).”

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=50200339561&ref=ts

As a student member of CFI, I’d like to get some responses on this and see if any of you would support such a cause and have any feedback on it.