Evolution
Posted: 06 April 2006 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Scientists have discovered a fossil fish that is considered a "missing link"  between fish and amphibians. The fossil has been dated as living 365 million years ago. It has characteristics of both fish and land-living animals and provides new information about how fish evolved into land-dwelling   animals.
The find includes more than one specimen that are 4 to 9 feet long (1.2 to 2.75 meters long). They look like a cross between a fish and a crocodile and were found north of the Arctic Circle on Ellesmere Island in Canada. The find was reported in the journal Nature recently.
The bones in it’s front fins resemble those in an arm and the creature was probably able to move about on land going from one body of water to another. It probalby had lungs as well as gills.
The creature has been named "Tiktaalik roseae"—Tiktaalik refers to a large fresh-water fish found in the Nunavut Territory.  Scientists will return to the site and try to find more specimens of this important find. 
Bob

Posted: 06 April 2006 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-02-08

Evolution

Scientists have discovered a fossil fish that is considered a “missing link”  between fish and amphibians. The fossil has been dated as living 365 million years ago. It has characteristics of both fish and land-living animals and provides new information about how fish evolved into land-dwelling   animals.
The find includes more than one specimen that are 4 to 9 feet long (1.2 to 2.75 meters long). They look like a cross between a fish and a crocodile and were found north of the Arctic Circle on Ellesmere Island in Canada. The find was reported in the journal Nature recently.
The bones in it’s front fins resemble those in an arm and the creature was probably able to move about on land going from one body of water to another. It probalby had lungs as well as gills.
The creature has been named “Tiktaalik roseae”—Tiktaalik refers to a large fresh-water fish found in the Nunavut Territory.  Scientists will return to the site and try to find more specimens of this important find. 
Bob

Posted: 06 April 2006 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks Bob. I saw this (as the lead story in the NYTimes!) this morning. Fascinating stuff, although one has to shake one’s head that this issue of “missing links” is still important ...

rolleyes

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 April 2006 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: "Missing links"

dougsmith,
I have to shake my head too. I’m sure that “missing links” will remain an issue for a long, long time.
Bob

Posted: 31 July 2006 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-02-08

"From Fins to Limbs"

There is an interesting article in the latest issue of Natural History magazine about Tiktaaltik and other fish that were developing legs and were trying to live on land as well as in the water. The article’s title is “From Fins to Limbs” by Jennifer A. Clack. The author is a paleontologist who earned a Ph.D at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyre and is a professor and curator of vertebrate paleontology at Cambridge University.
Her book, “Gaining Ground” is about the origin of tetrapods.

Bob

Posted: 05 December 2006 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-12-03
[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]I think creationist want to see every step of evolution to believe it. :idea:

I don’t think they want to see it. They’re hoping steps will remain missing so they can hold on to their dream.

Signature 

-Kyriako.
What intrigues me most is not the question whose answer I simply don’t know, but the question whose answer I can’t know.

Posted: 05 December 2006 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-11-16

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Thanks Bob. I saw this (as the lead story in the NYTimes!) this morning. Fascinating stuff, although one has to shake one’s head that this issue of “missing links” is still important ...

rolleyes

Where ever their exists a gap of information, a theist will surely shit in it.

Signature 

Chad

‹‹ Cosmology      Astronomy: the first science ››