4 of 4
National Center for Complimentary & Alternative Medicine called “Disappointing” by founder
Posted: 29 April 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03
George - 29 April 2009 12:43 PM
JRM5001 - 29 April 2009 09:25 AM

It’s disappointing that people would just take the word of an attractive, sincere, well spoken celebrity on such an important issue.

Maybe all that is needed is an attractive, sincere, well spoken celebrity who will speak for the vaccines. This part of human nature—wanting to be like the famous, rich, powerful and beautiful people—should never be underestimated.

They recently got one smile

http://www.vaccinateyourbaby.org/

Nice website, full of facts. And Amanda Peet is lending a celebrity face.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 29 April 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29

Hopefully she is famous enough to get people’s attention — I have never heard of her.

Posted: 29 April 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I had not heard of her either, until this campaign. But I’m sure to take note of her work in the future, knowing she is helping a cause that no other celebrity volunteered for.  wink

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 30 April 2009 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

I had never heard of Amanda Peet until I started watching Studio 60 ( a short lived but really smart backstage drama about a Saturday Night Live type show). Her public service messages about vaccines are excellent. Unfortunately she is not quite as well known as Jenny McCarthy and her new sidekick robot Jim Carey, and she doesn’t seem to get as many talk show invites as those two idiots. Hopefully more celebrities will join the cause with Ms.Pete, but it seems like most celebrities are drawn more toward the pseudosciences. Ms. Pete is a bit of an exception. She can act, she’s intelligent and she has the courage to speak her mind even if it alienates her from many in her industry.

[ Edited: 30 April 2009 07:33 PM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 01 May 2009 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

It is very unfortunate that many people would rather take parenting advice from the playboy bunny who bases her parenting decisions on what crystals align with her kid’s aura (no joke). Meanwhile the intelligent and talented actress who takes advice from doctors and scientists gets less of an audience to hear her speak about sound vaccine advice for children.

I really liked her website, or rather the website she is featured on (the link I posted earlier.) It has excellent and easy to understand language and F.A.Q.‘s for nervous parents. Why vaccines are safe, how they are different from vaccines of long ago, why it’s OK to have so many today when we grew up with just a few. Very simple and clear explanations. If I meet a mother who is nervous about vaccines, I will refer her to that site.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2009 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

I agree that its an excellent site Jules. I think it would have been better if the web address didn’t give away their bias on this issue since that may put some parents off, but its a minor issue and the work they are doing is invaluable. Thanks for posting the link.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

4 of 4