1 of 2
Lauren Becker’s Commentaries
Posted: 09 April 2006 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

I’m a new poster and fairly new listener to the podcasts.  I enjoy them all for different reasons.  But the one thing I always anticipate is a Lauren Becker commentary.  I especially enjoyed the Sack/Evolution one about how to find a way to look at a situation when it is 1) New and 2) Uncomfortable/troubling.

My favorite part is when she said that Darwin gave us company.  We have the universe, thanks to Gallileo, Kepler, et al.  It is huge, but at least we know our real place in it.  Darwin gave us the knowledge (thanks to all the Darwinian research since Darwin) that we are a family.  We are all one people.  And, beyond that, we are all connected with every thing else on the planet (yeah, DNA!!).  Company, indeed.

Anyone else have a favorite part?

Posted: 09 April 2006 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-03

Lauren Becker’s Commentaries

I’m a new poster and fairly new listener to the podcasts.  I enjoy them all for different reasons.  But the one thing I always anticipate is a Lauren Becker commentary.  I especially enjoyed the Sack/Evolution one about how to find a way to look at a situation when it is 1) New and 2) Uncomfortable/troubling.

My favorite part is when she said that Darwin gave us company.  We have the universe, thanks to Gallileo, Kepler, et al.  It is huge, but at least we know our real place in it.  Darwin gave us the knowledge (thanks to all the Darwinian research since Darwin) that we are a family.  We are all one people.  And, beyond that, we are all connected with every thing else on the planet (yeah, DNA!!).  Company, indeed.

Anyone else have a favorite part?

Posted: 14 April 2006 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Kudos for Lauren Becker

We have received about five dozen gushing emails about Lauren Becker’s occasional segments.

I like her metaphor of believing in heaven being like living in a starter home or renting, as opposed to owning your home. I think it beautifully contrasts living in this world, making it better, or living for the hereafter, ignoring today’s problems.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 15 April 2006 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-03

Thanks, DJ

I was feeling aa little un-loved by the silence.  Imagine how Lauren feels!  smile
You are no slouch, either.  I enjoy your thoughtful questions.

There is a church I pass on the way to work that posts pithy phrases.  It reminds me of Lauren’s commentary on “Drive by faith, not by sight.”  That was a good one, too.  The rest of us have had to clean up the messes of those who live and legislate by faith.  And it dovetails nicely with some of the comments made by Sam Harris in last week’s podcast (which I finally got around to listening to!).  Why do some laws exist—to further a religious idea or agenda.  :x

It is important for the rest of us to bring this up whenever possible.  Even if we sound odd.  It has been my experience that whenever I criticize some religious ideology (even seemingly innane ones like buying beer on Sundays), I get the “eye-roll” from friends.  You know—I’m overreacting again!  Don’t get me started on discussions about “fetal ensoulment”!  Everyone thinks I make that one up!

Posted: 21 April 2006 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day to all.
Or as I just heard Lauren Becker say, “Happy Human Day.”
Bob

Posted: 28 April 2006 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-04-28

Just heard the ‘Earth Day’ commentary.
Marvellous! If only I was articulare as Lauren!

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a text versions of her commentaries?

M.

Posted: 28 April 2006 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: Lauren Becker’s commetaries

Akmenzies,
Welcome to these forums!
I agree,“marvelous!” I love her voice.
I believe it’s possible to get a text version of her commentaries. Try the CFI web site.
Bob

Posted: 15 July 2006 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

Lauren’s commentaries have been favorite segments of mine on the podcasts.

I enjoy what she says. I enjoy the way she says it. And I dig the sound of her voice.

Posted: 15 July 2006 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Agreed with all youse guys. Lauren is great. They’ve got a wonderful thing going with these podcasts.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 July 2006 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Youse? A Paisano named Smith? Fogetaboutit!  LOL

Posted: 16 July 2006 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 July 2006 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-06-17

Lauren’s Analysis of humanists- herding vs solitude

Brilliant analysis Lauren on the psyche of humanists! Self congratulating, fox and the grapes, defense mechanisms, we didn’t really want thay any way, pride in being different, groups are for sheep, I’m too smart to follow the shephard, why didn’t I think of all that?

I have been searching of such analysis of the humanist personality for over a 15 months now to now avail. I really think Lauren has nailed us humanists bang on. This is absolutely critical information for each us to understand so that we can learn to socialize more effectively.

I really hope to one day have the chance to meet Lauren.

Stephen Bieda
Fenwick, ON Canada

Posted: 24 July 2006 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10

Re: Lauren’s Analysis of humanists- herding vs solitude

[quote author=“sbieda”]Brilliant analysis Lauren on the psyche of humanists!....(snip)...

I agree. This gave me something to chew on during my commute to work today. I do have to point out that Lauren was observing the behavior of humanists who were attending the conference. It may be (and this is what I would believe) that people who attend the conference are more “in need” of socialization and group dynamics than people who didn’t go to the conference. So, in a way, humanists who need/desire this type of human interaction and want to feel part of a group were the most likely to attend the conference in the first place.

I feel like I’m nitpicking, and I do agree with Lauren. But I thought I’d just like to point this out.

Posted: 31 July 2006 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2006-07-30

I know that for myself, I got out of the habit of joining anything.  Being an aetheist in my circles, particularly at work, makes me persona non grata - I’ve usually concealed my beliefs, but feel phony when I do so, so I tend to just opt out.  Religion is this country is unbelievably strong right now - you can really be treated as an undesirable if you don’t conform.  I really enjoyed Lauren’s commentary, and felt a lot better after hearing it.

Posted: 03 August 2006 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-01

[quote author=“Riley”]Lauren’s commentaries have been favorite segments of mine on the podcasts.

I enjoy what she says. I enjoy the way she says it. And I dig the sound of her voice.

I agree 100%. She’s got a fantastic voice! I always look forward to hearing more from Lauren.

Keep up the great work, Lauren! :D

Signature 

"Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness."
~ Ebon Musings: The Atheism Pages ~

Posted: 08 August 2006 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-08-08

Appreciation for Lauren’s commentaries.

The POI podcasts positively fill the void on my commute to work. I just wanted to add to the praises for Lauren.  She makes very persuasive cases for her points and is eloquent. She is refreshing and I look forward to her spots. Please encourage her to continue to speak her mind.  I am personally encouraged that those of us who may not have the gift of public speaking have her representing our causes.

“Are you saved?”....“Saved from what?” classic !

1 of 2