2 of 2
Lauren Becker’s Commentaries
Posted: 22 August 2006 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10

Another great Lauren Becker commentary on this week’s episode. It was about “alternative medicine”. I would love for more skeptics/scientists/secular humanists to explore this topic in more detail. As Lauren pointed out, part of the issue is really the health care industry. I completely agree. It’s difficult being someone who values science and western medicine to defend the health care situation in the U.S. It’s awful. Of course, to jump to the conclusion that “alternative” solutions, which may range from inneffective to harmful, are better in some way doesn’t follow.

I think scientific-minded people better acknowledge some of the major problems that face the industry. Otherwise, you come off looking pretty naive. Here in Massachusetts, most college-educated women that I know are dealing with some major problems with the industry when it comes to birth.  Because of the financial considerations and time constraints facing health care providers, women are discovering that birth is a medical procedure - usually a C-section.  Most of these C-sections are unnecessary and cause other complications. C-section rates in the U.S. have skyrocketed. Is this because it is becoming more necessary in order to save the life of the baby? Or is it because the system is designed for speed, efficiency, and convenience?

Anyway, my daughter was born in a hospital, with assistance from a nurse-midwife.  My son was born at home with assistance from a midwife. Night and day.  Anecdotal - yes.  However, I think there’s a reason why educated women are “abandoning” U.S. healthcare systems to have more “natural” births. The reasons are *scientific*.  U.S. healthcare has some major problems when the educated among the population must step outside the system in order to get the scientifically-best care they can find.

Posted: 20 November 2006 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-20

Possible to get Lauren Becker transcripts?

Are there transcripts, or does Lauren Becker print her essays somewhere?
Because her latest one on Richard Dawkins, hope, and the Lord of the Rings is one if the best one I have heard…best essays on the subject I have heard, and I SO want to be able to share it with people!
Unfortunately, most of the people I want to share it with don’t listen to podcasts or can’t.
I’m almost willing to type it all out myself if there isn’t a copy somewhere, it’s so good and I think so important for people to read!
Thanks,
Liam

Posted: 20 November 2006 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi Liam,

You might want to contact D.J. or Thomas through the PoI website here . (Scroll to the bottom).

They are at the forum from time to time though.

And it’s a great idea to get Lauren’s commentary available in written form!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 November 2006 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-11-20

Thanks for the reply!
I’d looked for a “contact us” type page on the site, but never found one. Guess I missed it. =)
Thanks again.

Posted: 21 November 2006 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-11-19

What a delightful nerd

After hearing the latest PoI pod-cast on 11/17/06, and hearing Lauren speak, this was my first thought, doe to the whole Lord of the Rings addition to the discussion.  It’s not meant as a put-down in any way, I’ve heard every one of these pod-casts, and of the 25 or so pod-casts I listen to this is my favorite, and the people who I love hearing the most on them are Dawkins, Harris, Jacoby, and Lauren Becker.  Every time she’s announced, I know that despite what else is talked about, it’s going to be a good episode for what she will say.  Her speaking talent is impressive, and I hope that she is on many more times.  Perhaps as the main guest at some point?

Posted: 24 November 2006 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-07-06

i think a fan club is in order. = )

Posted: 28 November 2006 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-11-28

Hurray for Lauren! Wisdom from the Lord of the Rings!

I’m not prone to gushing, but…

Lauren Beckler’s essays are always high points for me. Very, very insightful and very, very well done.

I loved the recent talk about being an expert on “made up people”. In particular, the discussion of what made a difference between the “good” and “bad” characters in the Lord of the Rings was very insightful (personal note, it had an important, positive impact on my life at a difficult time).

Thanks to Lauren!

james a. foster

Posted: 29 November 2006 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-10-17

Re: Possible to get Lauren Becker transcripts?

[quote author=“Mechphisto”]Because her latest one on Richard Dawkins, hope, and the Lord of the Rings is one if the best one I have heard

Couldn’t agree more. I had tingles down the back during the whole speech!

Signature 

Roy P

Posted: 29 December 2006 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-12-29

Lauren Becker is awesome!  I love her essay on the social nature of humanists, and her reading of her essay on Carl Sagan brought tears to my eyes.  The Faith Drivers and Human Day essays really stand out too. Her essays are very concise, thought-provoking, and sometimes beautiful, and they put a lot of heart into these podcasts.  Keep up the good work, Lauren!

Posted: 01 March 2007 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-03-01

Transcripts

I agree with everyone on here that looks forward to Lauren Becker’s commentaries.  I have taken it upon myself to begin transcribing them.  I have completed the ones on Dawkins/Lord of the Rings and Alternative Medicine.  If anyone would like a copy, I’d be glad to email one or both to you. 

John

2 of 2