2 of 2
does anyone facebook?
Posted: 23 March 2009 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02
Ecrasez l’infame! - 23 March 2009 07:38 AM

Running through the responses this question about Facebook membership it looks as if a large percentage of CFI members are close to death, that they believe that younger members and that other young people in general have little of importance to say. 

This is sad because it is among the younger members of our society that we must find the future of humanism, and a strong opposition to the bigotry of religious belief: it is the older members who should be working with the young to promote this future.  Is CFI membership as stultified, ossified, dull, and just plain old and boring as it appears to be from these answers?  What affect does this “elder outlook” have on CFI as a functional, successful system, if you can get beyond your own old opinions?

EI, I think that is stereotyping all of us here.  I’m over 40 and I am on both Facebook and MySpace.  I was encouraged by the younger people, including my sons, for so long that I finally gave in and joined both.  I think Humanists do make their presents known on both sites and I do believe they are of all ages, not just the young.  However, if you truly believe it is only the young who frequent such sites than I am honoured to be called a youth, esp since I’m pushing further into my 40s every day of my life and getting closer to that 5-0.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 March 2009 01:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2009-03-24

I had a Facebook account but I already close it just recently. After all the news that comes up that they can post your picture without even caring to msg you. That is when I decide that I am out with that social community. I have heard that they have enhance their new message interface and has even a twitter updates available to it but right now I don’t bother anymore. I like Twitter better. Its highly interactive and spells so much fun.

[ Edited: 27 March 2009 10:21 AM by Occam ]

Posted: 26 March 2009 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-03-26

I have a FB account as well, it’s very handy for keeping up with my friends who have gone to different colleges, or who I left when my exchange year in the Netherlands came to a close. While it was originally designed for college students, I see more and more from older generations creating accounts. My mom (who is in her 50’s, far from old, but equally far from being in college) has recently created an account and found a lot of friends she’d unfortunately lost contact with.

In more disturbing news, I heard some things last night about some report by French Intelligence that FB is owned by the Israeli Mousad (I know I didn’t spell that right, corrections will be welcomed). It sounds unlikely to me, but if anyone knows anything about it, I’d love to hear…

Posted: 26 March 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26

I use Facebook because there is a much younger clietele there and the focus of their ideas is somewhat differet,  Apart from that, one of the groups I would wiy has a membership of over 10,000 in many parts of the world discussing many different aspcts of “Atheism” (for example) = I ould say that many of them would help swell the CFI ranks and even intelligence and intellectual focus so it might be nice to invite a munch over for a chat and a coffee and see ehat commonalties here might me.  Can’t hurt unless someone gets too riled up and we might even work together to do some good.

Whta Do You Think?

EL

2 of 2