Canada’s Science Minister: Chiropractor & Creationist?
Posted: 17 March 2009 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-11-26

A friend pointed out (on Facebook) a somewhat disturbing story in today’s Globe and Mail.  Apparently—and I don’t know the sources for this—Canada’s science minister, Gary Goodyear, is a chiropractor and creationist.  And this concerns some folks.  Here’s the story’s opening, which focuses on his refusal to address his stance on evolution (in what context I don’t know):

Canada’s science minister, the man at the centre of the controversy over federal funding cuts to researchers, won’t say if he believes in evolution.

“I’m not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don’t think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate,” Gary Goodyear, the federal Minister of State for Science and Technology, said in an interview with The Globe and Mail.

A funding crunch, exacerbated by cuts in the January budget, has left many senior researchers across the county scrambling to find the money to continue their experiments.

Some have expressed concern that Mr. Goodyear, a chiropractor from Cambridge, Ont., is suspicious of science, perhaps because he is a creationist.

After quoting some more of the minister’s remarks that are ambiguous but reminiscent of anti-evolution rhetoric (e.g., “I do believe that just because you can’t see it under a microscope doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.”), the piece goes on to describe Mr. Goodyear’s background in science and technology, concerns from the science community, and his political ascent.

Signature 

Adam

Posted: 17 March 2009 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-09-29

If the quote is accurate, nobody asked him about religion.  They asked him about evolution.  He himself brought up his religion, which IS an inappropriate response to a question about science.  His constituents (which are all of us, if he’s a federal minister) do have a right to ask about anything they choose, including his religion, his favourite colour, and whether he wears boxers or briefs.  It’s up to him to decide how best to respond, without changing the subject or attacking the question or questioner.  If he decided simply not to answer that last hypothetical question, it could be understood.  But based on the actual question asked, and his evasive religious answer, one is left to assume that he does not believe in evolution.  That almost certainly means he’s a creationist, which is something rather shocking and dismaying to learn about one’s so-called “Minister of State for Science and Technology”, particularly since most voters voted against his party.

Posted: 17 March 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-02-16

I sent a letter to my MP voicing my concerns about his appointment.
It was ignored….

Posted: 17 March 2009 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Oh No!!! big surprise The Bushies moved to Canada!! I thought we’d exterminated them in the last US election!!! sick He’s in a position to do a LOT of damage!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…