Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
Posted: 20 March 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy - real medicine or alternative medicine? Or real but over-hyped? My local hospital has just opened a center with several of these treatment chambers. I don’t know much about the validity of them.

My father was an insulin dependent diabetic. Before he died, he went to dozens of these treatments. He said they made him feel a bit better for an hour or so after the treatment. But they never did help to heal the wounds on his feet. Despite the treatments, he needed several progressive amputations (each higher up the foot and then leg) and eventually died of complications. (No autopsy was performed, so we don’t know if it was a heart attack or infection.)

But these treatments, I wonder if he was taken advantage of? He spent thousands of dollars for these hyperbaric treatments that were not covered by insurance. The center he went to (in another part of the country, not the new one at my local hospital) did quite well. It was owned by a few doctors who opened the hyperbaric center as a financial investment. I later found out that his referring physician was a partial investor in the center. That is questionable to me.

I guess I’m a bit saddened that all the money he spent on the treatments, which did not ‘appear’ to end up helping him, could have gone to my widowed mother instead. But maybe the treatments did their job, and I don’t know. For all I know, they could have extended his life by six months or a year - slowed the progress.

Any thoughts from our resident medical professionals? The doctors at the center told him it was a proven medical treatment. But I have read elsewhere that some people think it’s over-rated or given too much credit. I’m curious to hear from impartial professionals here.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor