Tour of the Universe
Posted: 24 March 2009 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Tour it by the powers of ten!

Cern has a tour that I love to do.  It is fun to tour the Universe like this: ten divided by ten; or ten times ten, again and again and again ...  It gives you that good feeling that you are so small and so BIG part of the huge huge Universe.
Secular way to have a little fun and a little learning.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 25 March 2009 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15360
Joined  2006-02-14

To give credit where it’s due, the idea for this began with a short film in 1977 by the designers Charles and Ray Eames, together with physicist Philip Morrison. I vividly recall seeing their film when I was younger and was BLOWN AWAY by it. It’s science teaching at the highest level, IMO.

They are no longer alive, but the Powers of Ten website is HERE, and you can see their original video HERE.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 March 2009 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

Several of my friends sent me the video (the tour of the universe in 10s) as proof that ‘god’ exists! LOL Loved the video, made me a firmer believer in the wonders of nature…didn’t bring me to ‘god’!!!!!!
(but of course I MUST know that nothing like that could ever exist without ‘gods’ hand..)

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4497
Joined  2008-08-14

That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing that. Loved the music-loved the journey!! So glad to share this Forum with you people.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 25 March 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
VYAZMA - 25 March 2009 10:07 AM

Loved the music

Really?  grrr

Posted: 25 March 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 25 March 2009 11:42 AM

Loved the music

Really?  grrr

Ohhh yesss..I love that stuff. It reminds me of the background music to films and cartoons of my childhood.Films almost exactly like the IBM one here.That is one of the main reasons I liked this bit. Retro. I love it. That was made in 1979. I was 9 years old then. I love that stuff. I like music in a big way George. I appreciate all forms.
Don’t make me go to the Soundtracks Thread and pull out things that you like. I’m sure I could find some questionable items in MY OPINION. LOL

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 25 March 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You see, VYAZMA? How does one herd a bunch of atheists if we can’t even agree on the tastefulness of some background documentary music from the seventies?  LOL BTW, I was eight in 1979.

Posted: 25 March 2009 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 25 March 2009 03:21 PM

You see, VYAZMA? How does one herd a bunch of atheists if we can’t even agree on the tastefulness of some background documentary music from the seventies?  LOL BTW, I was eight in 1979.

Super Mario Bros? Come on! You call that music? shock Hee Hee

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2009 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Come now, children.  Don’t fight.  LOL  {eight and nine, good lord!!!  I was already on my second marriage.}

Occam

Posted: 25 March 2009 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 25 March 2009 06:18 PM

Come now, children.  Don’t fight.  LOL  {eight and nine, good lord!!!  I was already on my second marriage.}

Occam

Ha ha ha…so was I..in a manner of speaking.  LOL I always took George to be older.The immigrant thing.Like you said Occam,this internet forum-speak leaves the mind wide open to interpretation. I just assume that if someone claims to come from a place like the Czech Republic,then they did that awhile ago,as an adult.Weird!!
Of course nobody here fills out their Bio info,so we all just have to guess.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2009 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
VYAZMA - 25 March 2009 04:05 PM
George - 25 March 2009 03:21 PM

Super Mario Bros? Come on! You call that music? shock Hee Hee

Well, okay, VYAZMA. Touche.  grin

Posted: 26 March 2009 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2009-01-07
dougsmith - 25 March 2009 12:38 AM

They are no longer alive, but the Powers of Ten website is HERE, and you can see their original video HERE.

That video is great, thanks for finding it and posting.

Posted: 27 March 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Good video find dougsmith! grin  They have a tour like this at the Museum of Natural History (no video, only still pictures) around the Hayden sphere in the Rose Center, it is a nice one.  There are a lot of these tours on the web in simple HTML, they get more and more interesting when they are done with more and more details, really.  They really help you to imagine these alien objects, making more real to ya’, that feels very comforting.

That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing that. Loved the music-loved the journey!! So glad to share this Forum with you people.

He, he, the music reminds me of a 1950’s horror movie, but I didn’t see Vincent Price in the video.  1977 you say dougsmith?  The drum machine at the beginning screams at me, “I AM THE NINETEEN-EIGHTIES… I AM TRON… I AM FLOCK OF SEAGULLS… I AM MEN AT WORK… I AM JUST AROUND THE CORNER.  HERE I COME! grin”.  Memories… the decade of my adolescence.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 28 March 2009 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15360
Joined  2006-02-14

Yeah, I don’t recall where I saw this movie the first time, but it was in NY and could well have been at the AMNH. When I was in Chicago last year at the Museum of Science and Industry (also an awesome museum) they STILL had a booth where they were playing it.

One of the best short movies about science, IMO. And FWIW I do like the music. It’s kind of oddly creepy, but gives the right sort of feeling.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 March 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2405
Joined  2007-07-05

It’s something like the Simpsoverse.

But higher precision with more click stops.

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental