UFO hoaxers aimed to debunk, got arrested instead
Posted: 08 April 2009 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

UFO Hoaxers Sentenced to Community Service

As an April Fool’s joke, two men decided to show how easy it is to fake UFOs, and how easily people could be fooled. They tied lit road flares to helium balloons and released them. No one was hurt, but they were charged with creating a disturbance due to the flood of 911 calls received, and the fact that the distraction could have caused a traffic accident.

When you click the link, the photos taken of the “UFOs” road flare ballons in the sky look remarkably like many recent highly publicized UFO photos/videos. You know those videos where people exclaim “Oh, the light just hovered forever, then miraculously disappeared - It must have jumped away using some kind of hyper-drive!” Road flare tied to a balloon hovers around for a long time, then goes out. LOL.

I got kind of a chuckle out of the prank. However, I can see how it would be dangerous - someone could run off the road or have an accident, and it took up a lot of police time and tied up the emergency services line. But I don’t think the pranksters meant any harm.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 08 April 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2209
Joined  2007-04-26

I saw this story on the news a couple of days ago and couldn’t help thinking that maybe we are getting to a place where everyone is taking things a bit too seriously. How many officers really had to be sent to deal with this. Did they honestly believe that we were being invaded by aliens? People panicked over nothing. A single patrol car could have been sent out to investigate this and public safety would have been none the worse. Now we’re going to waste court time and public money prosecuting a couple of harmless pranksters. I think everyone needs to lighten up a bit.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 April 2009 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Agreed. I think the fact that they were arrested and given community service was harsh.

A verbal warning from an officer for clogging up the 911 line would have sufficed. But I don’t think they meant harm. The fact that it was an April Fool’s prank should have tipped people off.

Regarding their possibly causing a traffic accident - yes, the lights could have distracted someone into having an accident. But they didn’t. No one had an accident. In addition, many things can distract drivers, such as fireworks, flashing billboards, bonfires…

I think the prank was kind of clever and proved its point - people will believe that most ANY light in the sky is a spaceship.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor