2 of 2
Medical Doctors who believe in God?
Posted: 02 November 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4805
Joined  2007-10-05

Both, George wink

Welcome, Shmedelle. One of my friends is a devout Christian, but he’s the good kind. He believes in accepting everyone, not just believers. His wife is a nurse in an oncology ward, and he once told me they believe in God because his wife could not cope with her job unless she had a belief in an afterlife. This seems like a defense mechanism to help her retain sanity.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, Shmedelle.  First, ignore the post by that moron, harrissteve.  He only signed on today, and he’ll either leave after being a stupid troll or he’ll be banned soon if he keeps up that kind of dumb posting.

Second, I agree with Macgyver, but to expand, data that is dumped into the minds of very young children, before they develop the ability to reason, is accepted uncritically, and is often in “logic proof compartments” in the mind.  This means people who are in technical fields such as the sciences or medicine but who have been inculcated (brainwashed) as tiny children will reason quite clearly using critical thinking in most areas of their lives, but the god junk is inaccessible to logic so they will still believe no matter how irrational it is.

I certainly agree with your evaluation of the silliness of those who think praying for you will help, however, as was pointed out, that’s there way of trying to be nice.

I wish your daughter well and hope you keep us informed as to her progress.  Welcome again.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3153
Joined  2011-08-15

Yes, welcome Schmedelle,
I also went through a similar situation with my wife, who besides being my life partner is also my best friend. We spent many weeks in oncology while she had test after test to determine if she had contracted cervical cancer. We both went through hell concerned about everything, including the kids. Our Christian parents and our friends were kind and caring and put her on several prayer chains. At that time I didn’t care, I just wanted her to be well. She went to the best oncologist in our area and I put my trust in him and the hospital staff. It wasn’t faith, it was trust in his professional skills. He eventually found the problem and fixed it. It wasn’t cancer after all but she had to have several transfusions. Situations like that have a sobering effect on your life. I wish you and your child all the best.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 02 November 2011 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Hehe, you guys know this thread was started in April, 2009, right? smile

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 03 November 2011 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

My girlfriend’s dad is a cytologist who studies cells for signs of cancer.
He is also a fundamentalist Christian who wants theocracy in the US.

Posted: 03 November 2011 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Damn.  Should have caught that.  Thanks, Domokato.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

2 of 2

‹‹ Hi from Syria      Wes Jernigan ››