The Passion of the Christ
Posted: 18 April 2006 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-03-09

I know I’m two years late, but this film finally crept its way up my Netflix list, and I watched it last weekend. 

Imagine:  an atheist, unable to attend the CFI screening of [i:8b41adac61]The God Who Wasn’t There[/i:8b41adac61], at home with a highball of shiraz, watching [i:8b41adac61]The Passion of the Christ[/i:8b41adac61] on Easter Sunday.  That’s a lesson in irony I should present to my literature class.

I’m interested to know the forum’s thoughts on this film.  I thought I’d throw it out there and (hopefully) engage some conversation about it before I go on and on about what a weirdo I think Mel Gibson is.

Signature 

This is my signature.

Posted: 18 April 2006 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-03-09

The Passion of the Christ

I know I’m two years late, but this film finally crept its way up my Netflix list, and I watched it last weekend. 

Imagine:  an atheist, unable to attend the CFI screening of The God Who Wasn’t There, at home with a highball of shiraz, watching The Passion of the Christ on Easter Sunday.  That’s a lesson in irony I should present to my literature class.

I’m interested to know the forum’s thoughts on this film.  I thought I’d throw it out there and (hopefully) engage some conversation about it before I go on and on about what a weirdo I think Mel Gibson is.

Signature 

This is my signature.

Posted: 18 April 2006 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14

I’d be interested to hear your take on it. Personally I don’t think I could sit through it all ...

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 April 2006 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I think it is a piece of sh*t film.  Actually I don’t have a real oppinion on the film sense i haven’t seen it yet.  But I want to hear what you think of Mel Gibson.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 29 April 2006 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-04-28

I saw it, bloodiest film I’ve seen since evil dead2, its funny in an uncomfertable way. Didn’t have a story plot, and pro roman catholic. Overall,  I give it 2 out of 5 easter bunnies.  :D

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 22 July 2006 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

It earned Mel Gibson over 300 million Bucks last I heard!
I guess what bothers me most about the film is it’s marketing. Gibson sold it as a documentary, a scientific screenplay designed to represent the reality of the events described in the bible.
He was never challenged on that by the media. Yet the whole thing is an portrayal of something that could not have occurred. Carrying the cross is but one small example. I think the studies of that section of the supposed events that led up to the crucifixion are quite well known. It is impossible for a young very well conditioned athlete to carry a cross on a flat surface for 100 meters. He couldn’t even carry the crossbar that far.
and the business with the nails spurting blood and the crows picking out eyes, its sick! How did it gross so much money? The churches sent their congregations en masse.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 15 October 2006 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-12

Well, I was raised as a christian, and I don’t remember exactly, but I think that I may still have been when I first saw it - in any case, I wasn’t out of the viewpoint enough to be totally disgusted by it.

Anyway, what I got out of the film, and what I think most Christians get out of it, is that yeah, this is horrible stuff, but this guy went through all of that for you, and so it was actually really touching. Hard to watch, but still touching.

It’s too bad it’s all just made up raspberry

Posted: 16 October 2006 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

deleted by the author