Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign
Posted: 14 April 2009 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-04-14

Hey folks!

I wanted to let everyone know that here in Indiana several organisations (the AHA, the Secular Alliance of IU - a CFI campus group, and the Bloomington Atheists) have joined together to launch an atheist bus campaign right here in the bible belt.

We were inspired by the success of Ariane Sherine’s and Richard Dawkins’s campaign in the UK, and the Canada Freethought Association’s campaign in Canada.

If you come visit our website at INAtheistBus.org you can find out more about the campaign and how to support us smile

Oh, and we also have a YouTube video!

Posted: 15 April 2009 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5506
Joined  2008-08-14

What a Feat! Congratulations!!

Signature 

Now with 20% more surfactants!

Posted: 15 April 2009 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-04-24

I’m from the campaign and want to encourage people to support us!

You can post a link to http://INatheistbus.org, add it to your forum signatures, share the video on Facebook, vote us up on Reddit or Digg, or even just donate a few bucks!

We have enough funds to do a series of ads in one city, but we want this to be the INDIANA atheist bus campaign, with ads all over the place, in multiple cities in Indiana and beyond.  And the more people we reach and more donations we get, the bigger impact we can make.

So far we’ve gotten lots of positive feedback about our slogan “You can be good without God.”  Sadly, this is viewed as a controversial message in lots of Indiana.  Something which is fact is controversial?  This is too bad!  And by supporting the IN ABC, you can work to help change that!

Thanks!

Posted: 16 April 2009 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  323
Joined  2009-02-18

Coversely, you can be really bad without god. A belief in god can make people behave, or make them do horrible things.

Without a belief in a god/s, whence comes the basis for moral behavior? Is from humanity itself, or from nature, or from science?

This seems to be the crux of the mental conundrum for most religious people. Being a moral relativist, I hold no supernatural power as the basis of my moral beliefs, but I’m a bit hard pressed to concisely define exactly where they did come from.

In any event, good luck, bring a large first aid kit, and practice ducking. wink

Posted: 16 April 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2005-07-20

First Indiana votes for a Democrat US President, and now a good godless message, that great!  Just the sort of changes that the Bible belt needs to improve.

Signature 

bicycles: less mass, no fuel, lower speed, more beautiful, more quiet, lower cost, less wear-and-tear on the roads, more social because you can talk to people beside you, low-impact heart healthy exercise, easy parking… they are not perfect, but are they better than cars?.

Posted: 16 April 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26

Very, very, very good.  Congratulations on this initiative.  Following the UK and Italian models we should all be doing this.

Posted: 24 April 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2009-04-11

Cool.  I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, so I am glad to see this!

Posted: 27 April 2009 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-04-27

Much better than the other bus campaign, IMO.