1 of 38
What are you reading?
Posted: 24 April 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-09-10

Interested in the books people are reading, if any.

I’m currently reading “Losing my Faith” by William Lobdell

Posted: 24 April 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

For non-fiction, currently reading The Accidental Mind. Very good.

For fiction, just finished Neal Stephenson’s Anathem. Enjoyable, though a bit long-winded IMO.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 24 April 2009 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2011
Joined  2007-08-09

I am currently slogging through the new 2,000 page biography on Abraham Lincoln: A Life, along with half a dozen other books I’ve started but not finished.

Signature 

I cannot in good conscience support CFI under the current leadership. I am here in dissent and in support of a Humanism that honors and respects everyone.

Posted: 24 April 2009 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

I only read non-fiction. I recently finished:

Chaos: The making of a new science - James Gleick
The Demon Haunted World- Carl Sagan
Mastering Jiu- Jitsu - Renzo Gracie

Currently reading:
What’s so wrong with being absolutely right. The dangerous nature of dogmatic belief - Judy Johnson

Posted: 24 April 2009 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Well, since this IS Formula 1 season grin , and with all the work of keeping up with the practices, qualifying and racing, as well as the latest in the F1 soap operas (Brawn and Red Bull have just come out of nowhere!), I pick up a book to keep me busy between races and when I’m not on the golf course—-I’m reading God the failed hypothesis..... great book!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 May 2009 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2009-04-17

End of Faith - Sam Harris
The Panda’s Thumb - Stephen Jay Gould

Posted: 29 June 2009 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-06-29

I would like to know if anyone else has read “Is There Life After Death”  by Anthony Peake

Or watched Michael Tsarion “Architects of Control”

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-07-13

I’m reading Thomas Paine’s Age of Reason and John Schofield’s Forty-Six Years in the Army to hold me over until I can gather change to purchase a new book.  I’m considering either the latest from Hitchens, Dawkins or Harris. I’m also considering Why I’m Not a Muslim. If anyone can make a recommendation, I would appreciate it!

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-07-13
asanta - 24 April 2009 11:56 PM

Well, since this IS Formula 1 season grin , and with all the work of keeping up with the practices, qualifying and racing, as well as the latest in the F1 soap operas (Brawn and Red Bull have just come out of nowhere!), I pick up a book to keep me busy between races and when I’m not on the golf course—-I’m reading God the failed hypothesis..... great book!

Who are you cheering on for the WDC?  I’m on the Vettel bandwagon.  The kid just has so much natural talent.  Same here though, reading between race weekends!  Also, GREAT year for F1 soap operas…

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
thoswm - 13 July 2009 09:08 PM
asanta - 24 April 2009 11:56 PM

Who are you cheering on for the WDC?  I’m on the Vettel bandwagon.  The kid just has so much natural talent.  Same here though, reading between race weekends!  Also, GREAT year for F1 soap operas…

I’m going to start a new thread before we get busted for being off topic!! LOL
I started a new thread in General Discussion!

[ Edited: 13 July 2009 09:35 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m going back and forth between three good books: Idiot America by Charles P. Pierce and The black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. For fun I’m reading; Word Myths by David Wilton—not as good as the others.

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2009 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

Currently reading “Cancun and Yucatan for Dummies” and “The Folk Culture of Yucatan”. Also a Maya/Spanish/English phrasebook; apparently a lot of people out in the nether regions of the Yucatan don’t speak Spanish much better than I do, and their primary language is still Maya. (as you probably figured out, we’re planning a trip to Yucatan near the end of the year grin .

An associated question—and in this postmodern age, perhaps even more revealing—would be: what podcasts are you listening to? Here’s mine:

PoI of course.

Radio Ireland RTE

France-Culture (news headlines en francais)

The Celtic Myth Podshow

plus Spanish lessons for the aforementioned Yuc trek.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 July 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2286
Joined  2007-07-05

I just found this in Project Gutenberg

Manhood Of Humanity: The Science and Art of Human Engineering

By Alfred Korzybski

I tried struggling through his Science and Sanity in my late teens.

It was as though it was just at the edge of my understanding.

I’ll give this a shot.  I like reading e-books on my PMA400 more then real books.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 14 July 2009 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m reading Gene Roddenberry biography by David Alexander, still and “Christ in Egypt” by D.M. Murdock currently.  I generally have a Star Trek book of some sort going at the same time I read something non-fiction.  I did have four books going at once, but just finished the two shorter books.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 July 2009 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m currently reading The Quantum World by Kenneth Ford. It’s a great explanation of quantum physics for those of use who have not studied higher math. My next book in queue is Algebra for Dummies, which I need to finish before classes start August 24.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 14 July 2009 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-07-14

The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11, by Lawrence Wright

It is excellent so far.

Signature 

Hi, I’m executive director of the Center for Inquiry in New York City.

1 of 38

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››