12 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 21 February 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Thanks Gary, I’m putting that book on my ‘must read’ list. I’ll have to see if it is in ebook form. smile
It is…I ordered it for my que!

[ Edited: 21 February 2011 03:30 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 February 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Total Posts:  4360
Joined  2010-08-15
garythehuman - 21 February 2011 10:26 AM

Before the Dawn – Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors
      Nicholas Wade- 2006 -279pages

Very nice review, Rating B+, I got something out of that one.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 21 February 2011 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Wade’s book is very good, but perhaps a bit outdated by now. From what I remember Wade in his book talks about the “replacement” of archaic humans by H. sapiens which by now we know to be a lot more complicated than that. It’s probably a good idea to get familiar with the “Eve theory” (Out-of-Africa), but I would also recommend to anybody who is interested to learn about human evolution to look up Multiregionalism as the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Posted: 21 February 2011 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Dead Monky - 21 February 2011 12:20 PM

I making my way through my Lovecraft collection again. 

Did you hear the POI interview of S. T. Joshi?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 22 February 2011 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

No.  Though I have read some of his non-weird fiction related writing.  I rather like the guy.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 22 February 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Total Posts:  1769
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 21 February 2011 05:19 PM

Wade’s book is very good, but perhaps a bit outdated by now. From what I remember Wade in his book talks about the “replacement” of archaic humans by H. sapiens which by now we know to be a lot more complicated than that. It’s probably a good idea to get familiar with the “Eve theory” (Out-of-Africa), but I would also recommend to anybody who is interested to learn about human evolution to look up Multiregionalism as the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Yes its almost ancient, 5 years old, this is one of the disadvantages of being cheap and buying through discount houses.  hmmm

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 22 February 2011 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

It is still a good book though, Gary. It’s just that with the new information from the genetics research things will probably start to change very fast.

Posted: 22 February 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 22 February 2011 12:57 PM

It is still a good book though, Gary. It’s just that with the new information from the genetics research things will probably start to change very fast.

Almost any book you buy with a science bent will be practically outdated as soon as you buy it, that is the way of scientific progress.
When you make no changes, and no progress, it is called a ‘bible’. wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 February 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t know, Asanta.  Show bibles and the like are updated pretty regularly.

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2011 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15405
Joined  2006-02-14

OK, since the Out of Africa discussion persisted and became a self-contained unit, I’ve split it off. It’s now HERE. If you want to discuss that topic do so in that thread, and leave this thread for the subject of ‘what you are reading’.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 February 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

The Bible… for reading material that’s just an awful choice.  Calling the Bible updated is like taking two pennies from your pocket, calling one of them updated because of their slight differences.  The Bible being worth less than those pennies, of course.  Don’t skeptics considering knowing the story of the fishes and the loaves, the story of the Great Flood, the story of the Ten Commandments to be worthless, or do you consider them to be brain damage as I do?  So many have spent so many centuries with that book, for a long time that was the only book tha common people of Europe had any access to.  In the Middle Ages books were rare illuminated luxurious parchment art manuscripts for the elite.  With the wonderful variety of books available today people still talk about that old book. downer  Don’t you appreciate the wonderful variety of affordable books that we have today?  smile 

Wouldn’t it be nice to read some other book today?

Signature 

Posted: 28 February 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

My Bible is The Zombie Survival Guide.  It imparts all the wisdom one needs to survive the inevitable undead apocalypse.

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2011 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

My god its real, DM you will live forever! 

I love it when people get together to share some laughs about a book.  Remember the gospel story about how Jesus produced all the loaves and fishes and wine for the party?  Now how are you gonna sell the idea of a new god to people without demonstrating that he loves a good party!  Party to the people! 

Damn, I’m so torn, breaking my own advice by talking about a Bible story, but with a good opportunity to have some fun with it… mocking instinct is strong… must resist the mock…

How many Sons of God does it take to screw in a light bulb… Huh! If a bright idea ever came from the Bible I’d faint…

no, no more mocking… must stay away from Bible stories… arrrrhhh the struggle…

If you laid Bibles out around the equator, how many Bibles would it take to spread all around the world?... If you people don’t stop buying and reading the silly thing, we might really find out the answer…

AAAGGGHHHH!

LOL

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Oh great… here we go… Again.  downer

The New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) has been released, “It replaces terms such as “booty,” “despoilers” and “holocaust” with “plunder,” “robbers” and “burnt offerings.” And it comes available in two new app versions for the increasingly popular tablet computers.”  [Article]  Wow, big changes. rolleyes  Hey, how many skeptics will pledge not to buy it? 

I pledge not to buy the NABRE!

[ Edited: 09 March 2011 05:21 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17

Just finished the fifth (and final) book of the Belgariad series by David Eddings. Fun fantasy tale.

I’m thinking of some sci-fi now. (I’m on a fiction kick, what can I say? grin)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

12 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››