14 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 30 April 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I read Mike Brown’s book too. I was a quick read, humorous and informative. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 April 2011 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 30 April 2011 07:42 AM

Hey traveler, I have that book. It is pretty good, but I have seen better astronomy texts. For anyone who is interested enough to buy a college astronomy text I recommend any of the ones written by William Kaufman. They turn up at used bookstores at good prices. The Chaisson/MacMillan book has a lot of errors in the graphs. I’ve used it the last two semesters in my college astronomy classes, and while it is a good textbook the Kaufmann books are much better.

I tried reading The Planets by Dava Sobel, but after wading through the chapter on Jupiter I put it back on the bookshelf. I had recommended this book to a few people after skimming through it, but after spending more time with the book I found a few fact errors in the early chapters, and the Jupiter chapter went completely off the deep end talking about Galileo’s astrological charts and how they could have predicted greatness for him. Then Sobel got even deeper by discussing the astrological implications of the date of the Galileo probe launch. I apologize to anyone who wasted money on that book due to my recommendation.

I just finished reading How I Killed Pluto and Why it Had it Coming by Mike Brown. An excellent read, and very informative on how his team discovered Eris and why the decision to demote Pluto was correct.

Thanks Darron! Are the errors in the 7th edition???

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 30 April 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05

Yeah, I have the seventh edition. Our professor and I spotted one error in the chapter on solar system debris. There is a graphic that shows dinosaur killing meteorites hitting Earth every 10 million years. We know they don’t strike that often.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 April 2011 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

At the moment, I’m re-reading Norman Friedman’s “U.S. Submarines After 1945.”

A nice little refresher for an old deckplate sailor like me who likes reading design histories for naval vessels.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 30 April 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03

I am now reading

Hofstadter: Gödel, Escher, Bach

Joshi & Schultz: Lord of a Visible World

Hoffer, Ramesh & Topi: Modern Database Management

Posted: 06 May 2011 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge.pm - 28 April 2011 06:16 PM
George - 27 April 2011 08:24 AM

To all the parents and skeptics, there is a new book out by Bryan Caplan, called Selfish Reasons to Have More Kids: Why Being a Great Parent is Less Work and More Fun Than You Think. Looks interesting.

You mean this guy’s advocating we make yet more kids?   shock

I still haven’t read the book but I just came across an article by Caplan that might (might!  grin ) answer your question. Have a look at it. I think it’s worth the read:

POPULATION, FERTILITY, AND LIBERTY
by BRYAN CAPLAN
LEAD ESSAY
May 2nd, 2011

[...]
Could rising population be a cause of rising prosperity?

Yes. Economists’ central discovery about economic growth is that new ideas are more important than labor or capital.[7] The main reason we’re richer than we used to be is that we know more than we used to know. We know how one man can grow food for hundreds. We know how to build flying machines. We know how to build iPhones. Best of all: Once one person discovers a new idea, billions can cheaply adopt it.

[...]

This is, as usual, not the place to continue the discussion and I will open a new tread on the topic once I get to Caplan’s book. But in the meantime, CC, organize your thoughts and get ready…  wink

Posted: 06 May 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17

I took a break from Supersense (because a book I wanted to read more was available at the library wink) and I’m now reading Packing for Mars by Mary Roach. It’s a fun and interesting read. However, it’s definitely put me off of ever wanting to go into space. cheese

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 06 May 2011 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-01-28

Funny - PBK is reading Packing for Mars this month on their “FaceBookClub” - I haven’t picked it up yet but may do, as Stiff was a surprisingly great read.

Signature 

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools—the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans—and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, ‘You can’t trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there’s nothing you can do about it, so let’s have a drink.’ - Terry Pratchett

If my ideas had shapes, my head would hurt a lot more. - a professor who shall remain anonymous

Posted: 08 May 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17

I find her writing style really enjoyable; it’s funny and informative. The first book of hers I read was Bonk, interesting, strange and disturbing. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 14 May 2011 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-05-14

Shamanism by Mircea Eliade

The Quran translation by M. M. Pickthall (the free iPhone app)

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (free here http://www.cca.org/cm/picnic.pdf )

Demon Haunted World by Sagan and Dryan

Roman Warfare by Adrian Goldsworthy

[ Edited: 15 May 2011 06:34 AM by michaelb ]

Posted: 02 June 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

The last book I read was Molvania: a Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 June 2011 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome back, DM.  I was beginning to worry about you.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 June 2011 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Presently reading Michael Shermer’s “The Believing Brain.” Well worth it too.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 04 June 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 04 June 2011 11:04 AM

Presently reading Michael Shermer’s “The Believing Brain.” Well worth it too.

I just purchased it. I plan to start reading it tonight. Glad to see you give it a thumbs up.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 June 2011 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I started biography Pierre-Simon Laplace, 1749-1827: A Life in Exact Science by Charles Coulston Gillispie, Robert Fox, Ivor Grattan-Guinness.  It caught my eye, and it was originally published as a part of the Dictionary of Scientific Biography - Vol 15, a more expensive copy.  It looks like the authors are capable of handling Laplace’s works (math, physics, in French) well.  Looks like a good one, if you appreciate Laplace’s works.  grin

[ Edited: 04 June 2011 08:24 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

14 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››