19 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 16 February 2012 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
garythehuman - 16 February 2012 05:07 PM

[My cats have me more than domesticated; Max, a Blue (non-marxist oh oh ) Russian had to go to the vets today for his annual shots.  Took me a half hour to run him down and get him into the car.  Doesn’t like riding.

That’s annoying (to say the least). We usually double team them. My wife picks them up in another room then I arrive with the carrier. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 February 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02
garythehuman - 16 February 2012 03:10 PM
Mriana - 15 February 2012 06:40 PM

I’m reading Dawkins “Greatest Show” and I find it very rudimentary, but I did learn one thing- how dogs went from the wild wolf to domesticated, not genetic wise (I long since got that), but the process Dawkins states they went through- from wild, to self-domesticated, to human’s pets and helpers.

Did humans domesticate dogs or did dogs domesticate humans?  big surprise

According to Dawkins, they sort of domesticated themselves as they came closer and closer to humans for food.  Eventually, we took them on as pets and bred various traits to make various breeds.  I got the making of various breeds already, but I didn’t know how they became domesticated.  His explanation is interesting, but I am uncertain if that really was how it went, but it is plausible.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 February 2012 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

What is also interesting is when we compare the possible explanations for the domestication of cats and dogs. Dogs are friendlier with humans because they were feeding directly off our food, i.e., the leftovers from the hunted animals. Cats OTOH, came to us to feed on mice and didn’t therefore have that much of a contact with us.

Posted: 17 February 2012 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22
Mriana - 16 February 2012 06:39 PM

I’m reading Dawkins “Greatest Show” and I find it very rudimentary, but I did learn one thing- how dogs went from the wild wolf to domesticated, not genetic wise (I long since got that), but the process Dawkins states they went through- from wild, to self-domesticated, to human’s pets and helpers.

According to Dawkins, they sort of domesticated themselves as they came closer and closer to humans for food.  Eventually, we took them on as pets and bred various traits to make various breeds.  I got the making of various breeds already, but I didn’t know how they became domesticated.  His explanation is interesting, but I am uncertain if that really was how it went, but it is plausible.

I made my comment as a sort of joke, but here is what I remember of how it happened.  I think I got this from a set of Teaching Co. lectures   Understanding the Human Factor by Gary A. Sojka but I dont have time to go through the lectures again to find the reference.

A single liter of small wolves started scanvaning the scraps of a human encampment in mid-Asia.  The humans found this useful as this litter would bark if they were approached.  The band of human hunter gathers found this a useful alarm system warning them of the presence possible animal predators as well as strangers so they started ensuring that they left scraps for proto-dogs to ensure that they stayed in contact with them.  The relationship developed over the generations as it was discovered that this band of proto-dogs also hunted on their own and could lead the humans to and assist them in finding and bringing down prey.  The relationship then developed from there.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 February 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
harry canyon - 16 February 2012 05:48 PM
garythehuman - 16 February 2012 05:07 PM

[My cats have me more than domesticated; Max, a Blue (non-marxist oh oh ) Russian had to go to the vets today for his annual shots.  Took me a half hour to run him down and get him into the car.  Doesn’t like riding.

That’s annoying (to say the least). We usually double team them. My wife picks them up in another room then I arrive with the carrier. smile

Take care,

Derek

My wife and I WERE double teaming the cat.  He damned near won. angry

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 17 February 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
garythehuman - 17 February 2012 09:52 AM

My wife and I WERE double teaming the cat.  He damned near won. angry

LOL

Amazing how much trouble 10 pounds of feline can be…

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 17 February 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

12 pd 6oz according to the vet. LOL

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 17 February 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2012-02-01

Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst.

Signature 

My heavy metal Doctor Who theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9g2nXpYl0

Posted: 17 February 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02
garythehuman - 17 February 2012 09:49 AM
Mriana - 16 February 2012 06:39 PM

I made my comment as a sort of joke, but here is what I remember of how it happened.  I think I got this from a set of Teaching Co. lectures   Understanding the Human Factor by Gary A. Sojka but I dont have time to go through the lectures again to find the reference.

A single liter of small wolves started scanvaning the scraps of a human encampment in mid-Asia.  The humans found this useful as this litter would bark if they were approached.  The band of human hunter gathers found this a useful alarm system warning them of the presence possible animal predators as well as strangers so they started ensuring that they left scraps for proto-dogs to ensure that they stayed in contact with them.  The relationship developed over the generations as it was discovered that this band of proto-dogs also hunted on their own and could lead the humans to and assist them in finding and bringing down prey.  The relationship then developed from there.

Dawkins was the first theory I heard on that, but either one could be possible.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 February 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-05-26

For fun I found Tom Knox pretty neat: “The Marks of Cain” and “The Genesis Secret”, which I’m at at the moment.

Otherwise I’m re-reading Hesse’s “Siddartha”. Just beautiful! Best “poem” ever produced.

Signature 

“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.” (Heinrich Heine)

Posted: 29 February 2012 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

A Brief History of Robin Hood – Nigel Cawthorne 222 pgs.

This book reads much like a doctoral thesis.  It is very detailed at times, often to the point of uselessness for the general reader.  The Author spends an entire chapter documenting the names of people in 11th to 13th century who may have been the basis for the name, and more chapters for documenting the possibilities of who various of the Merry Men were.

The good point of the book is that it shows how the tale developed, through oral history, particularly as plays that were part of the May Day celebrations, written poetry and then finally movies.  Cawthorne also demonstrates the basic theme with parallel tales from other cultues.  However he does not deal with what the use of the play was except briefly at the end when discussing the writing of the 50’s televison series by writers blacklisted under McCarthyism.

All in all I would give this book a C.

[ Edited: 29 February 2012 09:50 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 01 March 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Joined  2009-07-17

Just finished Quirkology by Richard Wiseman. A fun and interesting read. (I’m still amazed at times that we managed to become the dominant species. wink)

I wanted to read some fantasy fiction, so I’m reading Guardians of the West by David Eddings, the first book of the Malloreon.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-02-03

Godless by Dan Barker!

Posted: 06 March 2012 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-02-18

As a novice I am much enjoying a college textbook The New Testament, A Students Introduction. Alternating that with NIV Mark, Luke and Matthew plus The Greek Myths by Robin Waterfield. I am trying to get a foundation…

Posted: 06 March 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Savagemalloy - 06 March 2012 10:53 AM

As a novice I am much enjoying a college textbook The New Testament, A Students Introduction. Alternating that with NIV Mark, Luke and Matthew plus The Greek Myths by Robin Waterfield. I am trying to get a foundation…

A foundation on which to build what exactly?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

19 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››