20 of 38
What are you reading?
Posted: 06 March 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-02-18

I am a student of history, most interested in the origins of Christianity.

Posted: 06 March 2012 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Savagemalloy - 06 March 2012 12:20 PM

That’s interesting. Do you see the Bible as an accurate history? It seems that a true history of Christianity would come from other sources.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Read anything by Crossan and the Jesus Society.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 March 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-02-18

The short answer is no, the bible is not historically accurate. There is plenty of information for the historian to gleen though. Mostly, about the time they were written.

My thinking now parallels this surprisingly good textbook I’m reading. that Oral tradition from Judea was converted into written Greek and interpreted to best fit the contemporary culture and geography.

The more I study the more amazed I am that religious belief can grip so many people.

Posted: 07 March 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
Savagemalloy - 06 March 2012 02:00 PM

The short answer is no, the bible is not historically accurate. There is plenty of information for the historian to gleen though. Mostly, about the time they were written.

My thinking now parallels this surprisingly good textbook I’m reading. that Oral tradition from Judea was converted into written Greek and interpreted to best fit the contemporary culture and geography.

The more I study the more amazed I am that religious belief can grip so many people.

This is an interesting field.  I have done much reading in the area. In addition to Crossan, I would recommend Bart D Ehrman and for a Xtian researcher Rodney Starks.  The best overall history of the rise of the Judaea-Xtian tradition is The River of God by Gregory J Riley.  A fairly easy read at 237 pgs. of text it gives a great overview. 

Looking forward to your discussions.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 22 March 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2006-11-27

I suppose this thread is pretty old, but I’ve got to write about this book:

My brother gave me a copy of Ambrose Bierce’s “The Devil’s Dictionary”.  It’s incredible!  Check this out:

“Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable”

“Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.”

“Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited.”

150 pages or so of this kind of stuff, (gems).  This will be one of those books that I’ll keep within easy reach.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 22 March 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Jeciron - 22 March 2012 09:51 AM

Ambrose Bierce’s “The Devil’s Dictionary”.

An absolute classic.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 March 2012 06:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
Jeciron - 22 March 2012 09:51 AM

I suppose this thread is pretty old, but I’ve got to write about this book:

My brother gave me a copy of Ambrose Bierce’s “The Devil’s Dictionary”.  It’s incredible!  Check this out:

“Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable”

“Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.”

“Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited.”

150 pages or so of this kind of stuff, (gems).  This will be one of those books that I’ll keep within easy reach.

I’ve read that one, it’s so fun to go through.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 March 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2011-09-13

50 Voices of Disbelief
Impact

Posted: 25 March 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2012-03-06

Ha ha, all these book are intellectual non fiction books, so I feel a little embarrassed to reveal I’m just indulging in some entertaining fantasy, “Game of Thrones” by George R.R. Martin since getting turned onto the TV show. I do read skeptic, scientific and humanist stuff too though, so don’t worry too much for me. As for that kind of thing, it’s an older one but “Misquoting Jesus” by Bart Ehrman is pretty good. I read a lot of blogs and stuff, Onegoodmove.org/1gm is good, and enjoying Brian Dunning’s blog and podcast skeptoid lately. I’ve only read one book by Dan Dennet, Breaking the Spell, but it was really good. I’d like to read more. Some other good oldies are “Surely, You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman” by Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan’s “The Demon Haunted Universe”, and of course the stuff by Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens. Anyway, back to my entertaining fantasy time out for the time being. On a side note though, I think that a lot of atheists seemed to have grown up on good science fiction like The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Universe and Tolkien. I think there is something perhaps subconscious about reading about fantasy and science fiction when it is presented as nothing other than entertainment that can help to prime the mind to realize the difference between myth and reality. Reading fantasy and then hearing some religious beliefs, I think, wow those religious beliefs are like a fantasy novel. Why can’t they see that they belong in the ‘things that are not real but maybe entertaining’ category. I guess it has something to do with all the people out there drinking the magic kool-aid and telling their friends and children that it’s real.

Posted: 08 April 2012 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

“On A Sea Of Glass” By J. Kent Leyton, Tad Fitch, and Bill Wormstedt.

Yeah, I’m one of those RMS Titanic nutters but if you’re interested in this subject and want something penned by researchers who go to the primary sources and who actually know what they’re talking about, this book is one of the must haves.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 09 April 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

No worries TrevorC, I’m finishing up the last book of the Mallorean series by David Eddings. wink

I enjoy non-fiction a lot more than I used to, but I still love heroic fantasy.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 09 April 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Finishing up Gregory Clark’s “Farewell to Alms”.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 April 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Jack,

If you are interested, I can give you a link to Clark’s artficle where he responds to some of the criticism of his book. Worth reading, IMO.

Posted: 09 April 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Or if you want to keep reading on this subject (now often referred to as evolutionary economics) I can recommend more books, articles and some blogs. Let me know.

20 of 38

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››