23 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 05 June 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 331 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2011-11-04
GdB - 05 June 2012 06:23 AM

...To soak people out of their Cartesian Cage is not an easy task, as many of the Cartesian notions are firmly rooted in our every day way of thinking about our life. Just simple declaration of a new model, and the arguments in favour of it might not be enough. To give an example: Dennett’s concept of the Cartesian Theatre, and how many people are still imprisoned by it was for me an eye opener: that only the question where in the brain we become conscious, and at what time exactly we become conscious show we are still Cartesian...

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I don’t think that asking what the neurological correlates for consciousness are, and when they occur, necessarily suggests that there exists a “mind” independent of and separate to a material body, as Descartes held.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 05 June 2012 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 332 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 05 June 2012 12:54 PM

Nah, it’s genetic.  My father was a wise-ass, too.

Occam

Yeah, I know you know.  wink

Posted: 06 June 2012 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 333 ]
Total Posts:  4572
Joined  2007-08-31
TimB - 05 June 2012 12:54 PM

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I don’t think that asking what the neurological correlates for consciousness are, and when they occur, necessarily suggests that there exists a “mind” independent of and separate to a material body, as Descartes held.

No, but I did not write that. Therefore Dennett replaces the Cartesian ‘Res Cogitans’ with the Cartesian Theatre. It is the place and the time where consciousness occurs. People who hold this idea are still suffering from Cartesian fever, even if the critical phase (the ‘metaphysically dualistic phase’) of the disease is over.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 334 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
GdB - 06 June 2012 04:32 AM
TimB - 05 June 2012 12:54 PM

No, but I did not write that. Therefore Dennett replaces the Cartesian ‘Res Cogitans’ with the Cartesian Theatre. It is the place and the time where consciousness occurs. People who hold this idea are still suffering from Cartesian fever, even if the critical phase (the ‘metaphysically dualistic phase’) of the disease is over.

Right.  There is no homonucleus.  As far as when consciousness occurs, I think it occurs each time that it occurs.  Much like walking or any other motoric behavior occurs when it occurs.  As far as where consciousness occurs, I think it occurs, primarily, in the brain, but that each time that it occurs, it involves a complex firing of neurons across areas of the brain.  Each time this firing of neurons could be similar to, or, perhaps quite different, from that of previous conscious experiences, depending on a host of concurrent external and internal contingencies.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 335 ]
Joined  2007-08-31

Every event in your brain has a definite spatio-temporal location, but asking “Exactly when do you become conscious of the stimulus?” assumes that some one of these events is, or amounts to, your becoming conscious of the stimulus. This is like asking “Exactly when did the British Empire become informed of the truce in the War of 1812?” Sometime between December 24, 1814, and mid-January, 1815 — that much is definite, but there simply is no fact of the matter if we try to pin it down to a day and hour. Even if we can give precise times for the various moments at which various officials of the Empire became informed, no one of these moments can be singled out as the time the Empire itself was informed. The signing of the truce was one official, intentional act of the Empire, but the participation by the British forces in the Battle of New Orleans was another, and it was an act performed under the assumption that no truce had yet been signed. A case might be made for the principle that the arrival of the news at Whitehall or Buckingham Palace in London should be considered the official time at which the Empire was informed, since this was the “nerve center” of the Empire. Descartes thought the pineal gland was just such a nerve center in the brain, but he was wrong. Since cognition and control — and hence consciousness — is distributed around in the brain, no moment can count as the precise moment at which each conscious event happens.

Dennett, Consciousness Explained, page 169.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 07 June 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 336 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
GdB - 07 June 2012 09:23 AM

Every event in your brain has a definite spatio-temporal location, but asking “Exactly when do you become conscious of the stimulus?” assumes that some one of these events is, or amounts to, your becoming conscious of the stimulus. This is like asking “Exactly when did the British Empire become informed of the truce in the War of 1812?” Sometime between December 24, 1814, and mid-January, 1815 — that much is definite, but there simply is no fact of the matter if we try to pin it down to a day and hour. Even if we can give precise times for the various moments at which various officials of the Empire became informed, no one of these moments can be singled out as the time the Empire itself was informed. The signing of the truce was one official, intentional act of the Empire, but the participation by the British forces in the Battle of New Orleans was another, and it was an act performed under the assumption that no truce had yet been signed. A case might be made for the principle that the arrival of the news at Whitehall or Buckingham Palace in London should be considered the official time at which the Empire was informed, since this was the “nerve center” of the Empire. Descartes thought the pineal gland was just such a nerve center in the brain, but he was wrong. Since cognition and control — and hence consciousness — is distributed around in the brain, no moment can count as the precise moment at which each conscious event happens.

Dennett, Consciousness Explained, page 169.

I think Dennett is correct in much of his assertion, here, but I think the statement may be misleading, in that I think that some specific conscious events could be pinned down to have occurred at a somewhat precise moment (surely within the range of a few seconds).  Our neural networks, though possibly analagous to the communication network of an Empire, function exceedingly faster.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 337 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

I haven’t been posting much lately, but I have been reading.

1.  Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoglu & James Robinson

2.  Monsoon by Robert D. Kaplan which in addition to much other excellent material has a chapter on Bangladesh and the effects of the rise of sea levels due to global warming may have on it.

3.  The Future of Power by Joesph Nye

4.  The Orignis of Satan by Elaine Pagels

5.  Humanity’s Law by Ruti G Teitel

6. Religion in Human Human Evolution by Robert N Bellah

Currently reading The Post American World by Fareed Zakarta

Sorry no book reports at this time; I am finally able to get up and around a bit and my wife took a header down the stairs Memorial Day; carring the laundry, broke her left elbow; forearm and wrist, two compound and a sigle frature; required immediate surgery.  So now I am a fulltime house husband, besides being behind on my yardwork, with limited time.  shock

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 338 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
garythehuman - 07 June 2012 04:19 PM

Sorry no book reports at this time; I am finally able to get up and around a bit and my wife took a header down the stairs Memorial Day; carring the laundry, broke her left elbow; forearm and wrist, two compound and a sigle frature; required immediate surgery.  So now I am a fulltime house husband, besides being behind on my yardwork, with limited time.  shock

Yikes! I wish her a speedy recovery.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 07 June 2012 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 339 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Yikes! I hope her recovery is more uneventful than her accident!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 June 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 340 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Ouch! You guys must be getting sick of doctors!

Best to you both.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 June 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 341 ]
Joined  2007-08-31
TimB - 07 June 2012 10:27 AM

I think Dennett is correct in much of his assertion, here, but I think the statement may be misleading, in that I think that some specific conscious events could be pinned down to have occurred at a somewhat precise moment (surely within the range of a few seconds).  Our neural networks, though possibly analagous to the communication network of an Empire, function exceedingly faster.

(Bold by me)

What should I add? If you mean that, then there is not much to discuss about. That is exactly what I mean.

Signature 

GdB

Posted: 08 June 2012 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 342 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Back on topic (for the moment). wink

I’m reading the White Gryphon by Mercedes Lackey. (Second book of the Mage Wars trilogy.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 08 June 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 343 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I’m taking a break from serious reading and doing some reminiscing from my childhood. Just finished Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America’s Pastime by Mark Frost. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I’m reading The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds by Joe Posnanski. Sure wish the 2012 Reds were half the team that one was. Or half as colorful.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 08 June 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 344 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
FreeInKy - 08 June 2012 11:23 AM

I’m taking a break from serious reading and doing some reminiscing from my childhood. Just finished Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America’s Pastime by Mark Frost. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I’m reading The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds by Joe Posnanski. Sure wish the 2012 Reds were half the team that one was. Or half as colorful.

It is my experience teams and people are usually more colorful in retrospect, even if they were currently colorful. There are always things going on in the background not privy to our current news system, which gets unearthed to titillate us years later.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 June 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 345 ]
Total Posts:  3250
Joined  2011-08-15

Who could forget Sparkie’s big red machine? That was one of the most exciting baseball seasons in this area. Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench were two of our favorites. It clearly shows the Red Sox curse was still alive then. Sounds like a book worth reading Free. BTW, I’m half way through Dennet’s “Breaking the Spell” and as this is my first encounter with his philosophical view of religion it’s been a tough read though. My background in psychology is hampering me somewhat as outside of the usual survey courses that educators are required to take I haven’t done much reading except as to how it relates to history. Also reading Chris Stringer’s book “Homo Britannicus”. His research reaches back 700,000 years and includes the glacial and interglacial periods where hominids inhabited the country. Very well written with extensive notes. They’re both a good read and I plan to pickup more Dennet’s books in the near future.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

23 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››