33 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 08 February 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 481 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Gary, the term “WEIRD” has been around for a while. And it’s been coined by Ara Norenzayan, not Diamond. Diamond is not really that relevant anymore.

[ Edited: 08 February 2013 07:21 PM by George ]

Posted: 09 February 2013 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 482 ]
Total Posts:  1757
Joined  2007-10-22

First time I ran into the term.

Diamond is not really that relevant anymore.

Why is that?

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 09 February 2013 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 483 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t have much time today, but in a nutshell, he is irrelevant because he is oblivious to biology.

Posted: 09 February 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 484 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

>>I don’t have much time today, but in a nutshell, he is irrelevant because he is oblivious to biology.<<

Well now, since most of what he deals with is history and sociology, and quite capably at that, I would submit this reflects a bit of myopia on your part.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 10 February 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 485 ]
Total Posts:  2390
Joined  2007-07-05

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

probably haven’t read it since the 60s though I have probably encountered mentions of every year.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 10 February 2013 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 486 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 09 February 2013 09:59 AM

I don’t have much time today, but in a nutshell, he is irrelevant because he is oblivious to biology.

Let’s see Diamond is a prof. of geography at UCLA; Winner of the National Medal of Science; Tyler Prize for Enviormental Achievment; Japan’s Comos Prize; a MacAuthur Foundation Feloowship.  Has a PhD on the physiology and biophysics of membranes in the gall bladder from the University of Cambridge in 1961.

In this book he spends a good bit of the chapters on human health discussing how modern humans have evolved to deal with our high calorie; high fat diet. 

The Third Chimpanzee is subtittled “The Evoloution and Future of the Human Animal”

Yep; he doesn’t understand biology so I guess you could say he is irrelvant because he doesn’t study biology.

BTW Biology isn’t the only tool you can use to understand society.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 10 February 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 487 ]
Total Posts:  6016
Joined  2009-02-26

I have just discovered this and from a quick perusal, looks like some stuff of interest.

http://www.rationality.net/

Currently reading and in agreement with this,

http://www.rationality.net/religion.htm

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 February 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 488 ]
Joined  2007-10-22

Write:

I just took a quick look at the sight, any idea whose it is?

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 11 February 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 489 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

The one thing that often bothers me about evolutionary psychology is the exaggerated importance it gives to the environmental pressures of the African savanna, as if the following fifty or so thousand years played no role in the evolution of our species (except for skin colour, sickle-cell anaemia and lactose tolerance—I guess those seem PC enough to be mentioned without running a risk of sounding, well, not PC.)

There are people who get it, (Darwin, Galton, Cochran, Harpending, Miller, Hawks, just to name a few), but there are many more who won’t have any of it (yes, Diamond). If this is something that interests you (most of you have heard of “paleo diet”), you may want to check out Marlene Zuk’s upcoming book, Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live. It comes out on March 18.

[ Edited: 11 February 2013 02:18 PM by George ]

Posted: 11 February 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 490 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 11 February 2013 02:08 PM

<snip>If this is something that interests you (most of you have heard of “paleo diet”), you may want to check out Marlene Zuk’s upcoming book, Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live. It comes out on March 18.

Looks like an interesting book. I’ll have to check it out. (I just might be done with my current overloaded reading selection before it comes out.  tongue wink )

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 February 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 491 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Has anybody here read Philip Pullman’s version of the “Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm”?

Posted: 12 February 2013 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 492 ]
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 12 February 2013 08:36 AM

Has anybody here read Philip Pullman’s version of the “Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm”?

Haven’t read that but I do have Grimm’s Fairy Tales Translated by Mrs. Edgar Lucas

If this is something that interests you (most of you have heard of “paleo diet”), you may want to check out Marlene Zuk’s upcoming book, Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live. It comes out on March 18

I’ll add it to my reading list.

Signature 

Gary the Human

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 493 ]
Total Posts:  3104
Joined  2011-08-15

There are people who get it, (Darwin, Galton, Cochran, Harpending, Miller, Hawks, just to name a few), but there are many more who won’t have any of it (yes, Diamond). If this is something that interests you (most of you have heard of “paleo diet”), you may want to check out Marlene Zuk’s upcoming book, Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live. It comes out on March 18.

George, have you read any reviews of this book’ and if so how does it differ from Wrangham’s book “Catching Fire”?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 494 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2013 10:14 AM

George, have you read any reviews of this book’ and if so how does it differ from Wrangham’s book “Catching Fire”?

Cap’t Jack

No, I haven’t. The difference between Wrangham’s book and hers is, I believe, the time period: Wrangham talks about Lower Paleolithic, Zuk, I think, focuses on Upper Paleolithic.

And I am not going to read any reviews because I really want to read the book first. I get like that when I am convinced I will like something—it’s some sort of romantic-, blind-love thing.  smirk

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 495 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Hey, I now see Wrangham reviewed the book and liked it! Great!

33 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››