34 of 38
What are you reading?
Posted: 12 February 2013 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 496 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

Jack, my answer to your question is on the previous page—just in case you miss it. Not that it’s all that important, though.  grin

Posted: 12 February 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 497 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

No, I haven’t. The difference between Wrangham’s book and hers is, I believe, the time period: Wrangham talks about Lower Paleolithic, Zuk, I think, focuses on Upper Paleolithic.

And I am not going to read any reviews because I really want to read the book first. I get like that when I am convinced I will like something—it’s some sort of romantic-, blind-love thing. 

Ok, it sounds interesting and will go on my list. I’m currently reading Chris Stringer’s “The Origin of Our Species”. He focuses on the development of Homo Sapiens Sapiens. Blind love huh? And so close to Valentine’s day!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 498 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Hey, I now see Wrangham reviewed the book and liked it! Great!

Ah, even more of a reason to read the book. I thoroughly enjoyed Wrangham’s book and his thesis was sound.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 499 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Thevillageatheist - 12 February 2013 12:02 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed Wrangham’s book and his thesis was sound.

Not according to the latest Scientific American’s Special Collector’s Edition, titled “What Makes Us Human.” Have you seen it? If not, don’t! Wrangham is supposedly making things up, but Jablonski knows exactly why our brains began to swell in the first place: it’s because we lost our hair. Whatever. And then there was some stupid article by some obnoxious philosopher who knows exactly why Pinker, Buss et al. are all wrong. Not sure why I am writing all this—I am probably still pissed.

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 500 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

There’s always some faux scholar out to make a name for himself by attacking a high profile researcher like Pinker. It would be interesting to read his refutations but I don’t have the time. Right now I’m reading “How the Mind Works”. And as to Wrangham’s book his research and conclusions are sound enough for me at this point.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 12 February 2013 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 501 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

You really don’t need to read it, Jack. Glossy pages with beautiful illustrations and diagrams, but that’s about it. I had no idea Scientific American was such garbage.

[ Edited: 12 February 2013 12:47 PM by George ]

Posted: 12 February 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 502 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

That’s sad in a way because Scientific American has had some pretty insightful articles in past issues, but maybe they have fallen prey to the profit motive rather than advancing and popularizing science. I mean look at Oz and the History channel. Both disappointing because they could have served as a conduit for sound scientific evidence. It really hacks me off to see a medium misused.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 February 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 503 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2013-01-23

I finished some days ago Mary Shelleys Frankenstein(and next day, went to see play about it to finnish national theatre). It has something very important to say about bad sides of human nature, lot to consider. Maybe i write more about it later.

Posted: 20 February 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 504 ]
Total Posts:  4140
Joined  2008-08-14

Village Atheist, looking for advice.  I finished “Battle Cry of Freedom” by McPherson.  Very good.  Too short, but very good.
I’m moving on to the Reconstruction phase now.  Unfortunately the Oxford series book for Reconstruction has not yet been written.
I’m thinking Foner’s book?.... any thoughts?
I like large 750-900 page single volumes giving a good thorough treatment of the different eras so I can move on through time.
Foner’s book appears to be well acclaimed.
If you have better ideas let me know.  Really wanted the Oxford book, but I aint waiting that long.
Perhaps 2 smaller volumes by different authors-on Reconstruction?
Let me know….Thanks.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 505 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Anything by Foner is good. I like his writing style, not too pedantic and aimed at a broader audience. I suggest his “Reconstruction: America’s unfinished Revolution…” for starters. Be prepared to be angry at hack politicians, corruption, unbridled robber barons and the destruction of the Natives of the Far West. Not much in the way of foreign policy though. There were a few bright spots like Edison and his minions. Also the rise of labor unions and feuding in Appalachia!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 506 ]
Total Posts:  4140
Joined  2008-08-14

Ok, that’s what I’m going with.  Thank you!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 507 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Oops, sorry, you wanted two. Add anything by John Hope Franklin. He does have a book out on Reconstruction, and while he writes extensively on the Civil War! he has branched out to include Reconstruction. Franklin BTW is the premier African-American historian and an expert on the period.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 508 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
VYAZMA - 20 February 2013 02:32 PM

Village Atheist, looking for advice.  I finished “Battle Cry of Freedom” by McPherson.  Very good.  Too short, but very good.
I’m moving on to the Reconstruction phase now.  Unfortunately the Oxford series book for Reconstruction has not yet been written.
I’m thinking Foner’s book?.... any thoughts?
I like large 750-900 page single volumes giving a good thorough treatment of the different eras so I can move on through time.
Foner’s book appears to be well acclaimed.
If you have better ideas let me know.  Really wanted the Oxford book, but I aint waiting that long.
Perhaps 2 smaller volumes by different authors-on Reconstruction?
Let me know….Thanks.

I read it several years ago.  Found it excellent.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 February 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 509 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Just started The Price of Inequality by Joseph E. Stiglitz.  Interesting so far, presents lots of statistics in a conversational manner, along with a ton of footnotes for futher reference.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 510 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ve read John Hope Franklin. Haven’t read Foner. I’ll take you up on that one. I’ll have to look at Battle cry of freedom. I love to read history books.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

34 of 38

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››