39 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 20 June 2014 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 571 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3255
Joined  2011-08-15

I do that frequently. I’ll start reading something (and it’s interesting!) But something else will grab my attention instead. I frequently have 2 or 3 books I’m rotating through depending on my mood.

I do that too Derek but it drives me nuts sometimes. I also read nautical fiction, and am currently reading book twelve of a twenty book series on the life of a captain in the British navy prior to and during the Napoleonic War. It’s escapist lit. but if I’m going to escape reality for a while I’d rather do it on the ocean in a frigate. Oh well, back to Dennet.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 June 2014 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 572 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hell, wait until you’re an old fud.  It annoys me when I pull a book out of my book shelves, that I haven’t looked at in, say, twenty or thirty years, and find a card in it about half way through indicating that I only got that far.  And it’s happening more and more frequently as I make up boxes of books to give the local library.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 June 2014 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 573 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 21 June 2014 02:09 PM

Hell, wait until you’re an old fud.  It annoys me when I pull a book out of my book shelves, that I haven’t looked at in, say, twenty or thirty years, and find a card in it about half way through indicating that I only got that far.  And it’s happening more and more frequently as I make up boxes of books to give the local library.

Occam

Lol!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 July 2014 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 574 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Recently started The Best of Joe R. Lansdale.

The first story was about Godzilla in a 12-step program. cheese I thought it was very witty and humorous.

The second was Bubba Ho-Tep about Elvis* in a retirement home. (The movie was adapted from this story.) Also witty and humorous.

* Who most everyone thinks is just an Elvis impersonator.

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 03 July 2014 02:53 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 03 July 2014 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 575 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

I finished listening to Janet Reitman’s “Inside Scientology”
Holy moly, who needs fiction when you got stuff like that going down.  shock
It does make an interesting, if sick, story.

Sad part was that it just goes to remind me of how hopeless sheople really are.
yea, yea, yea, so what else is new.  sick

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 04 August 2014 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 576 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Finished Religious Right -  The Greatest Threat to Democracy by A.F. Alexander an ex fundamentalist.  Contains much useful info but IMO a bit panicky.  give it a solid B.

Now reading Capital in the Twenty-first Century by Thomas Piketty.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 05 August 2014 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 577 ]
Total Posts:  1474
Joined  2009-10-21

I participated in the survey for people who are in mixed secular/religious marriages and then pre-ordered the book. It came this week and I’m loving it. In Faith and In Doubt by Dale McGowan. He starts with some general discussion, using very recent data, including his own. He talks a lot about how people don’t fit the stereotypes. Anti-Theists like Hutchens are representative of 20% of atheists. There are even 6% of self-labeled atheists who also say they believe in God, more that believe in a spirit of some kind. Don’t shoot me, I’m just the messenger, that’s what the data says.

He then goes in to details of 12 stories of real couples. Interesting so far. One couple starts out with a moderate Christian and a guy who doesn’t care, then suddenly he gets religion causing her to rethink and ending up atheist. Much more entertaining than the endless YouTube about fundamentalists.

Posted: 05 August 2014 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 578 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
garythehuman - 04 August 2014 07:13 AM

Finished Religious Right -  The Greatest Threat to Democracy by A.F. Alexander an ex fundamentalist.  Contains much useful info but IMO a bit panicky.

such as ?
What’s he feel most panicky about ?

smile

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 06 August 2014 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 579 ]
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2012-04-25

Currently reading Universe in a Single Atom by the Dali Lama. It’s actually very refreshing. He’s very open minded, very cosmopolitan, and calls himself an internationalist. And he says he has worked hard to convince other ranking Buddhists to embrace science and to modify their own beliefs in accord with new findings.

Posted: 06 August 2014 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 580 ]
Total Posts:  1474
Joined  2009-10-21
CuthbertJ - 06 August 2014 10:10 AM

Currently reading Universe in a Single Atom by the Dali Lama. It’s actually very refreshing. He’s very open minded, very cosmopolitan, and calls himself an internationalist. And he says he has worked hard to convince other ranking Buddhists to embrace science and to modify their own beliefs in accord with new findings.

The Dalai Lama has said two things that I wish all religious leaders would say. 1. If something about his religion was studied and found to be inaccurate, he would consider changing his religion. 2. He doesn’t care if you follow Buddhism or call yourself a Buddhist, it’s more important that we all care for each other and the planet.

Posted: 08 August 2014 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 581 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22
citizenschallenge.pm - 05 August 2014 10:14 PM
garythehuman - 04 August 2014 07:13 AM

Finished Religious Right -  The Greatest Threat to Democracy by A.F. Alexander an ex fundamentalist.  Contains much useful info but IMO a bit panicky.

such as ?
What’s he feel most panicky about ?

smile

The religious right that he grew up in, in general. (not they are not a threat)  just IMO a bit overdone.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

39 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››